586,766 active members*
8,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > KM5P.... misbehaving

KM5P.... misbehaving

Gentlemen,
    I have a km5p here that I recently picked up for a reasonable tap dance
    I was thinking about converting it over to run on vfd's assuming the servo amps were single phase. I was wrong. After emailed Steve Arts, I came to realize the axis required 3 phase juice.
    So I put together a rotary phase converter with a transformer and a 20hp 3ph motor.
    Ive been through every schematic I can understand. All voltages look correct. Control powers up, and functions.
    When I go to zero the machine, I almost immediately get the drive contactor dropping out, accompanied by "z axis servo error".
    When I look at the drives, I have the e-stop error on all three "-.".
    I am able to reset the drives no problem, only to have the same thing occur.
    What the heck is going on?!

Any ideas, opinions, are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Re: KM5P.... misbehaving

Quote Originally Posted by macds View Post
    Gentlemen,
    I have a km5p here that I recently picked up for a reasonable tap dance
    I was thinking about converting it over to run on vfd's assuming the servo amps were single phase. I was wrong. After emailed Steve Arts, I came to realize the axis required 3 phase juice.
    So I put together a rotary phase converter with a transformer and a 20hp 3ph motor.
    Ive been through every schematic I can understand. All voltages look correct. Control powers up, and functions.
    When I go to zero the machine, I almost immediately get the drive contactor dropping out, accompanied by "z axis servo error".
    When I look at the drives, I have the e-stop error on all three "-.".
    I am able to reset the drives no problem, only to have the same thing occur.
    What the heck is going on?!

Any ideas, opinions, are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Tell us about your transformer. If you were going straight from your rotary converter to the mill, it seems like I remember the generated (3rd) leg causing some problems with certain CNC equipment, so you might swap your power legs around coming out of the rotary, going to the mill. The transformer may make the previous a moot point.

gcude,
    I'm kind of new to this but have the same machine and have had almost every issue known to man with it. This may seem like a dumb question but do you have air hooked up and on, mine wont home with out it.

I'm not the OP, but your observation could be worth investigating within the Diag screen to possibly get a clue to what might be happening. I have a BMC20 and the Diag screen shows low air and a host of other on/off status indicators. Should be able to observe the Diag screen before trying to home/calibrate.

I wonder if during shipping, maybe the Z axis moved and is now beyond the Z limit and has the switch jammed? I was able to lower my Z/Head onto blocks of wood and strapped the table with ratchet straps before transport to my shop to prevent movement.

Turned out to be a bad connector on the side of the column.
    Thanks!