586,651 active members*
2,766 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > CRAP! I had my first case of "Pull-Out" today!!

CRAP! I had my first case of "Pull-Out" today!!

Yep, I'm not longer a "Pull-Out" virgin.
    I was making some long aluminum jaws for my TORMACH 5" Vise.
    When the 3/8 endmill went in to circle mill the counterbores for the bolt heads, the TTS Holder pulled out about 1/8" from the spindle.
    I only noticed it when I checked the finished jaw.
    One counterbore depth was fine, the 2nd was 1/8" deeper!
    :nono:
    WHAT HAPPENED !!?!??
    First checked my program, then the endmill for pull-out. Nope...
    Then saw a 1/8" gap between the TTS Holder and the Spindle Nose.
    DAMN.....
    I guess I didn't tighten it enough.
    At least I didn't scrap a customer's part.
    Make sure you torque those drawbars fellas.

Re: CRAP! I had my first case of "Pull-Out" today!!

Nobody experiences pullouts with TTS tooling, until they do.

Watch this vid to prevent - Maybe I should call it "Pull-out control" (you know.. birth control)

Also check for cracked washers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5hM7ORrGOg

For what you did, I probably would have drilled the holes thru and cut the counterbore in a helix pattern.

But before I made jaws, I would check with monster-jaws.com. They might have the jaws you need, and for what they charge, you can't afford to make them.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    For what you did, I probably would have drilled the holes thru and cut the counterbore in a helix pattern.

But before I made jaws, I would check with monster-jaws.com. They might have the jaws you need, and for what they charge, you can't afford to make them.
    I'll second that. I get mine from them as well. I've made soft jaws in the past and its just not cost effective to make them. I don't even want to think about the real cost of them when I make them here!
    Phil

We all make mistakes. What is most important is that we learn from them. And like you said, better to happen on your own part than a customer's. Thanks for sharing.

Check the Tormach website, they have a white paper explaining what to look for to minimize pull out. Most important, make sure the mating surfaces of your collet and TTS tools are absolutely clean. Also, use some anti-seize or grease on the outside of your collet, it will give you greater holding power because the force of the spring washers transfers directly to your TTS tools and you don't loose some of it to the friction. I don't think I had a single tool pull out since I started doing the two things mentioned above, and I'm using 1/2" endmills all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cordvision View Post
    Check the Tormach website, they have a white paper explaining what to look for to minimize pull out. Most important, make sure the mating surfaces of your collet and TTS tools are absolutely clean. Also, use some anti-seize or grease on the outside of your collet, it will give you greater holding power because the force of the spring washers transfers directly to your TTS tools and you don't loose some of it to the friction. I don't think I had a single tool pull out since I started doing the two things mentioned above, and I'm using 1/2" endmills all the time.
    Did you watch the video I posted? Explains all of that...

Oh well, didn't have a chance to watch the video, and I'm sure it's the same for other users as well. Just posting my own experience and what Tormach advised me to do when I talked to them about the issue...

I went past what they have said. I have now proven my way is superior to their way in terms of "lasting" with my setup. If you are regularly getting pull out after my way, or Tormach's way, then you are doing something wrong - as in you are pushing the machine too hard. Tormach's way is great, works every time. If you notice in my video, I have a copper washer added to the belle-ville washers...

I'll check it out when I get a chance. I'm sure it is some good advice, I'm actually subscribed to your channel.