586,321 active members*
3,858 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Maintenance in General > Maintenance DIY Discussion > Compressor motor has difficulty starting.
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: Compressor motor has difficulty starting.

last i checked its simply not possible for an air compressor to break oil down and end up with carbon deposits in the valves..
    unless you were to use used motor oil :violin:

anyhow, yes absolutely -20F temperatures will mess with the motor start caps, but not the run caps.

also, the low temperatures reduce the resistance of the motor windings and this also reduces the starting torque.. particularly if the start winding is aluminum since i think it has a higher resistance coefficient for temp changes.

i have to say this.. i might read the manual if i paid for a 5 year warranty.
    i might think about following their advice if i paid for a 10 year warranty..
    and i might actually follow their advice if they offered a 20 year warranty..

mactec54, if you had a better understanding of what multi-viscosity meant you would not be saying that so matter-of-factly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea View Post
    mactec54, if you had a better understanding of what multi-viscosity meant you would not be saying that so matter-of-factly.
    If you want me to get technical on the subject, you would not be able to understand,unless you have a PHD on the subject,my wife worked as a chemist for shell oil, pretending to know what you are talking about, only hurts others that need good information

Synthetic Compressor oil is formulated to be 0W-30W so you get the best of both worlds, is good for extreme cold, (easy on motor starting) or for when it's faced with hot conditions

So use the correct oil for your compressor to start with & you would not of had any problem with starting your compressor
    Mactec54

And I suppose you think that "W" stands for weight

mactech54, I really don't doubt that under that veil of intelligence you spout that you are a decent guy, but personally, I don't like you, you are just too arrogant, so this will be my last reply to your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea View Post
    And I suppose you think that "W" stands for weight

mactech54, I really don't doubt that under that veil of intelligence you spout that you are a decent guy, but personally, I don't like you, you are just too arrogant, so this will be my last reply to your post.
    I just love the way you respond, it really does just show who the arrogant person is

Anyone who doesn't know what ( W ) means in an oil rating, can do a Google search & find a wealth of information about oils, for those that don't want to look it up ( W= Winter ) like 5W-30 means that for cold starting the 5W is at it's thinnest it will get, this is made like this for cold starting, & for lubricating parts on startup, the lower the (---- W number ) the thinner the oil will be, the 30 part means the oil viscosity must maintain this rating at 100C so when it is hot, the oil will be at it thickest
    Mactec54

Page 3 of 3 123