587,006 active members*
2,795 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Maintenance in General > Maintenance DIY Discussion > Compressor motor has difficulty starting.
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: Compressor motor has difficulty starting.

We experience the most variation of almost any major city in N.A. -40°C to +40°C.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

My pancake comp. Does the same thing. What I found is that if I up it in at the far end of the shop there must be a voltage drop due to distance and it does the same thing. Try plugging it in close to your electrical panel or use a larger gauge extension cord. This seems to work for me. It never does it when I plug it in close to my electrical panel. And yes it only happens when it's cold

4nelsons,
    A very good suggestion but not the problem here, there is less then a 10' run of heavy cord from the power box to pressure switch.
    However.............
    The change to 10 weight did with out a doubt help, it would have struggled and kicked out with this mornings colder weather but kicked right off with the 10 weight oil.
    Hopefully when it actually gets cold it will still start. Turning the compressor pulley by hand was also very noticeably easier.

A good start and thanks for everyone's input.

Ken

I also live in Ohio and my compressor struggles when it get cold but once it starts then it will keep starting even when it is below zero

Makes sense, once run then keeps starting, oil gets warmed up, go to 10 weight and try that, like mine probably overdue for a change anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea View Post
    Makes sense, once run then keeps starting, oil gets warmed up, go to 10 weight and try that, like mine probably overdue for a change anyway
    You should not be using straight 10W oil in your compressor

The correct compressor oil is 10w-30 not using the correct oil will damage your compressor, you can get compressor Oil in most stores, Home Depot, Lowes Tractor supply Etc, I can't see anyone not being able to get the correct oil

Automotive oils are not suitable for compressor use, you will get excessive carbon deposits on the valves,Piston
    Mactec54

Me thinks your concerns are over stated.
    Also, found no 10x30 non detergent compressor oil in any place you mentioned only 30 weight and all were checked when I was looking.

These are excerpts from a compressor manufacturer
    1: Non-Detergent engine oil is commonly being used by piston type compressors
    2: For sub zero conditions you can use 10 or 20 weight for torque/load reducing on electric motor.

They also said synthetic oil was best for compressors
    As soon as weather breaks again after winter it'll be changed back to 30 weight, likely the synthetic next time.

Anyway, I'll be finding out I guess.

Me thinks your concerns are over stated.
    Also, found no 10x30 non detergent compressor oil in any place you mentioned only 30 weight and all were checked when I was looking.
    Home Depot - 1 qt. Synthetic Blend Non Detergent Air Compressor Oil customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Shop Kobalt 16-oz Synthetic Compressor Oil at Lowes.com

Campbell Hausfeld® Air Compressor Oil, 1 gal - Tractor Supply Co.

INGERSOLL-RAND Compressor Oil, 1L - G2911063 at Zoro

Royal Purple/1 qt. Synfilm recip 100 reciprocating air compressor oil 01513 at AutoZone.com

They also said synthetic oil was best for compressors
    Most of the suppliers that have the correct compressor Oil, it is synthetic

As soon as weather breaks again after winter it'll be changed back to 30 weight, likely the synthetic next time.
    You don't get it, your Compressor Oil grade should be 10W-30 all the time, using 30W is not correct

It is your compressor you can use what ever you like,in it, But don't tell other's it's alright to use 10w when it is not all right

If anyone has a startup problem when it is really cold, then they could even go to a 5W-30 would help for a cold start up, but don't use regular automotive Oil
    Mactec54

You are entitled to your opinion as one sided as it is, so am I if you don't mind.
    Not sure who you think you are (besides annoying) by telling me not to say it's OK on anything, if you don't agree, state that and drop it.
    In spite of what you think about yourself, you are not the last word on anything.
    Your unfriendly, arrogant, know it all attitude comes across clearly, internet forums are so full of that mentality, not telling you what to do with out your permission of course but my advice would be, take some of that time that is spent on being the smartest man alive and use a little of it to develop some social skills!
    Try offering some friendly advice next time.

The compressor that I purchased new came with 30# compressor oil, not 10x30.
    Maybe you should contact Husky compressor manufacturer and straighten them out since you seem to know more then they do.
    They seem to indicate clearly that Non-detergent automotive oil are commonly used.

"It is your compressor you can use what ever you like,in it"
    Thank you for your permission, I'll do just that.

I don't disagree with what you said about using proper oil, that would be ideal, the 10# is a stop gap to get it running and it is very doubtful it will self destruct the next time it is powered up. Since you have given me permission to use anything I want in my compressor, the 10# will stay there till spring.

My compressor is a commercial unit that I bought from an auto repair shop that was new. It says for cold weather you can go to 5wd oil

You are entitled to your opinion as one sided as it is, so am I if you don't mind.
    Not sure who you think you are (besides annoying) by telling me not to say it's OK on anything, if you don't agree, state that and drop it.
    In spite of what you think about yourself, you are not the last word on anything.
    Your unfriendly, arrogant, know it all attitude comes across clearly, internet forums are so full of that mentality, not telling you what to do with out your permission of course but my advice would be, take some of that time that is spent on being the smartest man alive and use a little of it to develop some social skills!
    Try offering some friendly advice next time.

The compressor that I purchased new came with 30# compressor oil, not 10x30.
    Maybe you should contact Husky compressor manufacturer and straighten them out since you seem to know more then they do.
    They seem to indicate clearly that Non-detergent automotive oil are commonly used.

"It is your compressor you can use what ever you like,in it"
    Thank you for your permission, I'll do just that.

I don't disagree with what you said about using proper oil, that would be ideal, the 10# is a stop gap to get it running and it is very doubtful it will self destruct the next time it is powered up. Since you have given me permission to use anything I want in my compressor, the 10# will stay there till spring.
    Social skills! look what you just posted

I'm sorry if what I said, did not meet your approval or your liking, I say it how it is,from experience, I used to manufacture some of the brand name compressor pumps, just one of the many things we used to manufacture

If the compressor has an oil pump for the oil circulation/pressure then 10W would not be a problem, but as most only have a dipper on the connecting rod, & rely on splash lubrication, then it would be best to use the 10W-30, unless stated by the manufacture to use something else
    Mactec54

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using 10w single grade oil in a compressor during winter time says an experienced navy mechanic (me haha)

My post was simply a reply at your social skill level so you would understand.

As is so often the case, it's generally not what you say but how you say it, reread your post and convince yourself it was friendly advice or invoked a like kind reply.
    You admit to saying how it is from your experience, apparently it is not possible in your mind that others experience may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by klaas123 View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with using 10w single grade oil in a compressor during winter time says an experienced navy mechanic (me haha)
    Sure, this is not about using just 10w oil, this is about using the correct Oil that the manufacture recommends, Most recommend 10w-30 for this type of compressor,this is good for winter or summer, so you never have to change it just for winter, in a good working compressor it will last a very long time
    Mactec54

I would check voltage at the compressor when you switch it on. I bet it is below the rated volts. Could be due to long wires or not heavy enough .
    You can boost the voltage by using a low volt transformer connected as an auto transformer and it might give you just that extra you need. The power output of an induction motor goes down quickly as the volts drop...

Quote Originally Posted by themotorman View Post
    I would check voltage at the compressor when you switch it on. I bet it is below the rated volts. Could be due to long wires or not heavy enough .
    You can boost the voltage by using a low volt transformer connected as an auto transformer and it might give you just that extra you need. The power output of an induction motor goes down quickly as the volts drop...
    I am running number 8 wire on my 5 HP compressor and when it gets to below 32 it starts real hard. never had a problem in the summer. As soon it starts in the winter and warms up it will start like it is summer

Quote Originally Posted by fixtureman1 View Post
    I am running number 8 wire on my 5 HP compressor and when it gets to below 32 it starts real hard. never had a problem in the summer. As soon it starts in the winter and warms up it will start like it is summer
    Try measuring the actual voltage at the motor during cold starting as i suggested. Although you have 8AWG wire, depending on the length of the wire, it still may not be heavy enough to carry the current without dropping too many volts. When you've measured let us know what the figure reads. The current duringa cold start will be 5-7 times the normal running current. So for a 5HP motor the normal current at 230 volts will be about 20 amps. so under a cold start the current will be at least 5 x 20 = 100 amps...and if this last more than few cycles, of the 60 Hz line power , the breaker will trip. When the compressor is warm this current doesn't last so breaker stays closed. It might be the easiest solution to just wrap the compressor with heating cord ( used for pipes ), switch the heater on a few hours before you start...

The run is only 20ft it was a spare for one of my welders

This post is kind of stagnant but just a follow up in case others my be looking for solutions to similiar problem.
    We have had some well below zero temps and with the 10# compressor oil is starting, sluggish... yes at these low below 0 temps but does not kick out the circuit breaker. Prior, even at 20 degrees it would be a battle to get it started.

This post is kind of stagnant but just a follow up in case others my be looking for solutions to similiar problem.
    We have had some well below zero temps and with the 10# compressor oil is starting, sluggish... yes at these low below 0 temps but does not kick out the circuit breaker. Prior, even at 20 degrees it would be a battle to get it started.
    Its always good to do follow up of what & how things worked out, So if you had been using the correct compressor oil, from the start, then you would never of had any problems at all
    Mactec54

Page 2 of 3 123