586,391 active members*
3,155 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Raised Edge on Laser Cut Acrylic

Hi,
    My company bought a 75W Fusion 32 not too long ago and I am working on adding some jobs to the machine.

The application I'm currently working on is using 2mm thick acrylic. The problem I'm running into is that the edges seem to develop a raised lip (on the face of the material). The lip is typically about 25 microns (per side). This application requires a flat spacer, so the lip is an issue.
    I'm currently cutting them using 17% speed and 100% power and frequency. I have my air assist around 7 PSI. I've tried cutting with and without the protective film on.

Can anyone lend advice on creating a flatter cut?

Re: Raised Edge on Laser Cut Acrylic

Just a thought, but I never use air assist when cutting acrylic. The air assist seems to cool the plastic too quickly. Just a thought.

Milt

2mm acrylic, 75w, you can make a fast speed to try?

Quote Originally Posted by ZackRR View Post
    Hi,
    My company bought a 75W Fusion 32 not too long ago and I am working on adding some jobs to the machine.

The application I'm currently working on is using 2mm thick acrylic. The problem I'm running into is that the edges seem to develop a raised lip (on the face of the material). The lip is typically about 25 microns (per side). This application requires a flat spacer, so the lip is an issue.
    I'm currently cutting them using 17% speed and 100% power and frequency. I have my air assist around 7 PSI. I've tried cutting with and without the protective film on.

Can anyone lend advice on creating a flatter cut?
    Lucy Lee G.WEIKE LASER
    [email protected]

I've never had a problem with "lipping" on acrylic but have had a problem when I experimented with some plastics (too soft). I would try a lower power and faster speed aiming to cut with the lowest power you can.

Air assist is to blow out the flame that results from the laser burning through material that it is cutting. To not use air assist you risk a serious fire especially with acrylic. The one time I forgot to turn on air assist when cutting acrylic and I had a fire, luckily I caught it quickly and extinguished it before it did too much damage. I always use air assist when cutting no matter what I'm cutting.