Howdy-

I've been looking at the Taig CNC mills because they appear to do what I want, mainly milling of metal and plastic parts. Since I'm a hobbyist, speed in production is not of the essence but precision and accuracy, are. The DSLS 3000 mill with a 4th axis looks like a real gem, but everything I've been able to find indicates usage of now-long-obsolete Windows XP. This is unfortunate as although I do have XP on a very dusty PC, I use Win 7 and in fact prefer Linux over any Window$ product.

I looked at the Sherline and Tormach offerings; the Sherline does not seem very stout (although it may be) and the Tormach was simply out of my price range, but left me drooling.

My main question is: does the DSLS 3000 actually require WinXP? I sure hope not...

On another note, I'm new to CNC and have been studying G-code, especially via Peter Smid's books; G-code seems pretty straightforward (I do have some prior programming experience) and being a surveyor by profession, multidimensional coordinate systems are something I deal with on a very regular basis.

Any and all advice on the DSLS 3000 would be appreciated, thank you very much in advance.