587,072 active members*
3,193 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: CNC plasma table gantry parts

I have built several tables with steppers and have no problem with backlash or repeat-ability. I use rack and pinion with belt reduction. Any of the gearboxes that i looked at were expensive and i think overkill for the job. I am thinking of building a new table with a HPR130XD .I am wondering what electronics you will be using to control the motion and run the cutter. I have used CANCNC controls on all the tables i have built and have had very good luck with them.

belt reduction works decently. my omax waterjet uses belt reduction only on a much more massive scale and its all enclosed with boxes

the reduction gears can be had for under $300 each. thats not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things...

electronics wise i am leaning towards the kieling brand closed loop steppers with the candcnc thc. I cant justify the price of the full candcnc package, i feel its overpriced. They can keep that plastic box...

Ill post some pictures of my waterjet here in a few so you can see how a high end machine is built.

I have tried the 300 400 dollar units and was not happy with the longevity or the accuracy. I have cnc machines and make all my own parts for the tables i have built. I don't try to build or design things that can be purchased for a fair price. I buy the z axis i currently use from velox because for the price its not worth my time. I cant build electronics and mach 3 screens for what candcnc charges. I think your biggest challenge will be to get the electronics to survive the high freq noise emitted by the hy def plasma units. Keep posting as you progress.
    DN

point me to what you have used in the past so i can stay away.