I received my G0759 mill 10 days ago after being on order for about 2 months. The mill arrived with no damage and I had no problems setting it up. Cleaned it with WD40 and checked the trams and everything was good.

While waiting for the Mill to ship, I had purchased all the necessary CNC conversion components including the ballscrew kit from AT. I didn’t buy the machined parts which I planned to make myself using Hoss’s phase 2 design and drawings. I assembled and tested the controller with the Mach3 software and all seems to be working well including the HTC wireless pendant. It took a while to figure out how to fit and mount everything into the AT controller case but it turned out OK. The motors all seem to be running smoothly on my bench top.

I’m new to machining and have never operated a mill but didn’t really have any major problems making the conversion parts. The G0759 DRO really helps when running the mill manually; too bad it won’t be of much use once converted to CNC.

I did have a couple issues with the drill bits I purchased from Grizzly. I bought their Titanium 29 bit sets, one SAE and one Metric. Turns out the SAE 13/32” bit was actually bent and when I tried to drill the through hole in the Y Axis spacer block, the mill bogged down about two thirds way through and blew the 10amp DC motor fuse. I was running the mill in low gear and it took me a while to figure out why the motor bogged down so much. I finally checked the bit and saw that it was bent about 3/64” at the cutting end. The through hole size is not that critical so I drilled it with the next larger bit 27/64” which worked fine. I also had a problem with the 5.5mm metric bit that drilled a hole significantly larger than 5.5mm. I predrill or mark all my holes with a center drill before actually drilling to size. The 5.5mm bit diameter is correct but the tip point was blunted and allowed the bit to wallow around causing the hole to enlarge. I may have damaged the bit myself feeding the bit too slow with the fine feed knob on the mill. So now I need to either remake the X Axis ballnut mount or just make the pins slightly larger to fit the holes. I will probably just make the pins larger since they will have to be turned to size anyway.

I don’t have a lathe so will try to turn the X Axis ballnut mount pins on the mill using a boring bar cutter clamped in the mill vice and 1/4” aluminum rod stock secured in a collet, will feed the Z Axis using the mill fine feed. The pins need to be different diameters on each end but should be doable.

Anyway, I’m very happy with the G0759 mill and so far it has worked flawlessly. Will update this thread after the conversion.

Attachment 254956
Attachment 254952
Attachment 254954