586,369 active members*
3,225 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Presurised gas strut

Hello,
    I have been trying to find through posts but can't seem to fine the information I need. I want to add a gas spring on the 5th column section to help with sag. I am looking at Mcmaster and they show so many choices for lift force. I would figure a 7.87 in travel length of theirs.
    Thank you for the help

Re: Presurised gas strut

Well for now I used a scale and tramed the mill and then let down the 5th column side and it placed 8 lbs on the scale. For now I am using a left over strut from a treadmill to test with and seems adequate. I will be ordering a 25 lb one for both sides with 8 inches of travel from napa.

Pop up a picture when ya do get it all happy.... Looking forward to seeing the revved up rig!

I would love to see photos of what you are doing.

What do you think about using a counter weight on a pulley on the ceiling and attaching it to the head? Anyone know what the head weighs?

Sure will post pics when more is done. A lot of experimenting right now. I need to get square tube on order to build up a good frame for the 5th. I see no reason a counter weight system wouldn't work except for movement of the ceiling with temp changes. I work out of a partially heated garage and know my ceiling moves even with insulation. But I live in MN so warmer climates may differ. No idea on head weight since CNC is in place. Just what the sag weight on the 5th is when you unlock a tramed mill section is, I think 8 - 11 lbs when I rigged up a scale.

Ceiling movement wouldn't matter. I was thinking about a cable connect to the head going to a pulley on the ceiling. The other side of the cable has a counter weight hanging. If the ceiling moves so with the weight. A constant upward pressure will be exerted independent of the heads position.

Here is a pic of support of 5th as well as a igaging scale added so that once I have a good tram at a fixed height I can zero my main dro a axis and this new scale and then be able to change heights while staying tramed when both sides are the same readings. Next is adding more support to the 5th and z axis.

No photo?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackICE1 View Post
    No photo?
    darn new taptalk.