586,160 active members*
3,596 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

5th axis up and running

A while back I posted in This Thread That I was going to add a 5th axis to my 1100. Well I finally finished the conversion to the machine and have full 5 axis support. As stated in the other thread the main reason for doing this was for the interchangeability of my 4th axis's (sp) They have different gearing and need different configurations in Mach. But now that I have full 5 axis support I want to build a trunion table or motorize the tilt on my 2nd rotary table. hmmmm the posibilities.

Here are some pictures and a Link to Video Of my first rudimentry test of moving 5 axis together.

In this pic you can see the additional Break out Board .
    It gave me additional inputs as well so I also added a spindle sensor and have spindle feedback now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cab1.jpg   Cab2.jpg   Cab3.jpg  
    www.sdmfabricating.com

I'd like to see pics of your table!

Re: 5th axis up and running

This definitely needs bumped! I just ordered a 4th

Are you running both the 4th and 5th axis from your additional BOB? You have another prarrallel pet on your computer for this setup?

I am assuming you must be running straight Mach 3 instead of Tormach's variant.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I wasn't able to open the video but this sounds great. I want to see all axis' going at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_M View Post
    A while back I posted in This Thread That I was going to add a 5th axis to my 1100. Well I finally finished the conversion to the machine and have full 5 axis support. As stated in the other thread the main reason for doing this was for the interchangeability of my 4th axis's (sp) They have different gearing and need different configurations in Mach. But now that I have full 5 axis support I want to build a trunion table or motorize the tilt on my 2nd rotary table. hmmmm the posibilities.

Here are some pictures and a Link to Video Of my first rudimentry test of moving 5 axis together.

In this pic you can see the additional Break out Board .
    It gave me additional inputs as well so I also added a spindle sensor and have spindle feedback now.