586,357 active members*
3,939 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Getting more space for the 4th axis

Getting more space for the 4th axis

I have some projects that I would love to do on my (tilting) 8" 4th axis but with only 9.375" maximum work length (with tail stock) I need more length. I came across this product;
    4th Axis Extension Plate | Tosa Tool
    Anyone use this to not only store their 4th axis but also use it. It looks like one would be able to get some extra length.
    Any other ides on how to get more length?

So far I am glad I bought the 8" tilting for all of its functions and options (ATC compatible) but does anyone have an 8" super-spacer rotary table? If so, what has been the maximum length of 2.45" or less stock you have been able to chuck up.
    Thanks
    Nathan

Re: Getting more space for the 4th axis

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    I came across this product;
    Hmm, when I see things like that, I want to buy a surface grinder. Of course, to diy this, it would require a 10x24 surface grinder, which has a huge footprint. A bit bigger than the 6x18 I am shopping for.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I have the 8" super spacer I have not used it much at all but I did make a similar plate to hang it off the right side of table. For reference even with the 3jaw installed and the tips of the jaws at the end of the work envelope of the 1100 the 4th only hangs off the table less than 1 inch

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have some projects that I would love to do on my (tilting) 8" 4th axis but with only 9.375" maximum work length (with tail stock) I need more length. I came across this product;
    Anyone use this to not only store their 4th axis but also use it. It looks like one would be able to get some extra length.

So far I am glad I bought the 8" tilting for all of its functions and options (ATC compatible) but does anyone have an 8" super-spacer rotary table? If so, what has been the maximum length of 2.45" or less stock you have been able to chuck up.
    Thanks
    Nathan
    That guy at Tosa Tool does some nice work, but his prices are absolutely crazy. I would buy a piece if steel, have it ground and make my own table extension. You'll spend a little time and a lot less money.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    That guy at Tosa Tool does some nice work, but his prices are absolutely crazy. I would buy a piece if steel, have it ground and make my own table extension. You'll spend a little time and a lot less money.
    Torsa tools prices are on a whole new level of insanity. I was able to get a local shop to make something similar to their largest fixture plate to cover the whole table for about half the price.

Thanks for the idea Steve
    I know you are such a competent machinist that you could bang this out.
    I am a little worried that since my 4th axis weighs 160 plus pounds with chuck it might not be so good to hang it very far off the right side of my table.
    It sure would be nice to be able to have a vise and 4th permanently attached.

Agree with Steve and Chris, insane

...not only store their 4th axis but also use it. ... So far I am glad I bought the 8" tilting for all of its functions and options...
    Nathan, I'm sure others will disagree with me (that's quite normal ) but I really wouldn't like to position the 4th axis so far off center at all, and I definitely wouldn't want to store it there. I know the table is specified to support quite a substantial weight (I don't recall the actual value) but I would prefer to keep this centered as far as possible and not too far away from the Y axis carriage limits.
    As I said, I expect others will disagree.
    Step

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	257002

Thanks
    Nathan
    For a few odd jobs this is what I did to get a few more inches, when not in use it is stored to the left or removed.

Nice setup
    So you have a 'custom' tailstock from your trunion. Can you use for round or square parts too like a regular tail stock?
    I like your drilled t-nuts attachment. As long as you are using the slot guides that is lower profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp-4renegade View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	257002
    For a few odd jobs this is what I did to get a few more inches, when not in use it is stored to the left or removed.

You are the voice of reason Step, I agree especially after I had to move my 4th and chuck off of the table yesterday
    The table being rated for 500 pounds with a 170 pound cantilever could not be good long term for the ways
    I think the area to focus on is the tail stock

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Nathan, I'm sure others will disagree with me (that's quite normal ) but I really wouldn't like to position the 4th axis so far off center at all, and I definitely wouldn't want to store it there. I know the table is specified to support quite a substantial weight (I don't recall the actual value) but I would prefer to keep this centered as far as possible and not too far away from the Y axis carriage limits.
    As I said, I expect others will disagree.
    Step

The table being rated for 500 pounds with a 170 pound cantilever could not be good long term for the ways
    I would be more concerned about warping the bed over the long haul.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Nice setup
    So you have a 'custom' tailstock from your trunion. Can you use for round or square parts too like a regular tail stock?
    I like your drilled t-nuts attachment. As long as you are using the slot guides that is lower profile.
    The whole trunion is custom, the custom tailstock for the trunion I made, there are 2 Timkin bearings in it. Easy to put a custom
    center in and tighten, then it is a live center for the 4th. It is overkill but it works.Attachment 257118

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Sp-4renegade View Post
    The whole trunion is custom, the custom tailstock for the trunion I made, there are 2 Timkin bearings in it. Easy to put a custom
    center in and tighten, then it is a live center for the 4th. It is overkill but it works.Attachment 257118

That's what I was thinking "nice" . I don't see an overkill, I see smooth moving solid tool!
    md

I really want a trunnion

All this talk about trunnions and I end up with an ear worm.

Ooooh I love trunions...

♫ Jackie Weaver & Brian Henderson ★ I Love Onions ♫ - YouTube

bob

Why both with a ground plate. Buy a piece of plate, bolt it to the end of your table and shim the RT to align its' axis with the table. Make and fit a raising block for the tailstock on the same basis. If you need pretty mill the surfaces shiny.

Phil