586,753 active members*
7,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Winter is coming, garage is cold, do you heat your Tormach?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Winter is coming, garage is cold, do you heat your Tormach?

I have a split ductless system in my garage (heat pump) I use it as an air conditioner, as the heat function won't work under about 26*f outside, plus heat isn't efficient.

LRF - Does your heater vent outside, or does it have a catalyst and vent inside (water), etc?

I have a manual thermostat, I'm not rich enough for any fancy ones, lol.

Its a pretty standard wall furnace (do a Google search) that I bought used about 20 years ago and has done me very good service (Its was probably 10 to 15 years old when I bought it for $90).
    It is a 2 speed model so has really heat good recovery. It vents thru the roof.

As for the thermostats, kind of have an in there as my daytime job is an R&D combustion and control engineer in a division of a company that makes gas valves, burner controls and thermostats. You figure out which company. LOL

Seriously, The thermostats that you control from your smart phone are unbelievably nice and the program ability is a great energy saver. I have 2, one in the house and one in the shop.

I've always wanted one, just haven't done it. I have 2 T-stats I'd probably replace. Link to one you suggest?

Search Home Depot for Honeywell Thermostats. Now they can be quite expensive but what you want to look is for the ones that are WiFi compatible. Mine are RTH8500 but the RTH6580WF which is under a $100 is very nice and if you have a family gone during the day the program ability and turning the heat down during the day will save you the cost in as little as one winter.

Thanks LRF, I assumed Honeywell, Neither of us leave the house, lol

Howdy,
    The inside of my machinist tool box is 68°F to 71°F, while the other items in the shop are 60°F. Two Katz magnetic oil pan heaters hooked to a variable speed router control box are working well. Electricity is $0.32 per day or about $9.60 per month.

kr

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00238.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	256190
    http://www.parmarng.org/freeidaho/default.html
    http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=999415

Neat idea

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Go with Natural Gas or ....Propane if you have to..
    Natural gas, definitely.

Propane. Hmm, not so much, frequently it is on par with electricity for cost. Unless you have a heat pump, and than electricity is clearly much cheaper (until temperature get down to 30F or so outside).
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Electricity is $0.13 average per KWH here

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Electricity is $0.13 average per KWH here
    Ok, you re right, I hadn't done the calculations for a few years, propane is cheaper than resistance heating (but not heat pumps if outside temp above 30F).

Assuming a 90% efficient propane furnace, that would mean for you that propane would be cheaper for heating if you can buy it for cheaper than $3.14/gallon. Since the going rate with residential delivery is about $2.40/gallon (but $1.62 in Iowa? how did you luck out?).
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Ok, you re right, I hadn't done the calculations for a few years, propane is cheaper than resistance heating (but not heat pumps if outside temp above 30F).

Assuming a 90% efficient propane furnace, that would mean for you that propane would be cheaper for heating if you can buy it for cheaper than $3.14/gallon. Since the going rate with residential delivery is about $2.40/gallon (but $1.62 in Iowa? how did you luck out?).
    Propane prices, at least in California, have been all over the map the last several years. A few years ago, we were paying over $4/gal, and now is well under $3/gallon. Electricity rates, OTOH, have been much more stable, ignoring the Enron fiasco in the early '00s.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by agurkmedia View Post
    I have winters down to -25 to -30degrees celsius. So I decided to build a room in my garage that is isolated with 15cm of glava (rockwool).

Not done yet, but I think I will only need a 1kW heater on continiously, to keep a room temp above 20degrees celsius.

I have not calculated or read anything about how much the iron frame will excess when warm contra cold.

Heres a pic of my room.
    Attachment 254426
    Hi all,

As previously posted I said that when I got my Tormach I would build a room around it.

Well...I started with the whole room itself on Saturday, and today I am done with all the work regarding the walls and insulation.

Tomorrow I will build some tables and stuff and start throwing my computers inside again, its a total room of 20m2.

The whole reason I started with this project was that I could only hold about 10C with 8kW of heating, when it was only -4C outside...in Norway and especially where I live..winters are down to -30C.

Its a lot of photos to digest, so I rather uploaded them to dropbox and share all the photos as an album for those who are interested in the result.

Another sidenote: The whole project did cost me around 400$, its as cheap as possible, but still well enough insulated for Norwegian winters..

Here's the link for anyone who is interested, I documented the whole part, even when I got my tormach 2 weeks ago

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/g6k3pgrez...tnyIKMz_15pGqa

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Natural gas, definitely.

Propane. Hmm, not so much, frequently it is on par with electricity for cost. Unless you have a heat pump, and than electricity is clearly much cheaper (until temperature get down to 30F or so outside).
    I read this and was thinking this guy is nuts and this should not be even close!
    Then I did the math and was blown away that it costs about $3.60 in power in my area to get the same btus as 1 gal of propane. Much closer in cost then I was thinking.
    md

Yeah, my heat pump won't work under 26*F I think it is, so I don't even use it for heat. This morning it's 14*F outside, I'm nice and cozy with my Mr. Heater Big Maxx Natural Gas heater Huge difference when I have my air cleaner on circulating the heat, it's almost instant heat using both.

Not sure why Iowa is cheaper for propane, that is odd. I just know Natural Gas is always on tap

What is funny is I use to work at the wind turbines 10miles east of here, I know what Mid American gets for electricity and I KNOW that it's going to our city (use to work in Sub Station too) and our City monopoly (they buy by the Mega Watt from Mid American.. wish I could tell you the price...) and they still charge 13cents... for a Killo Watt

Cool Dropbox
    agurkmedia

It's pretty much how I started too!

Page 2 of 2 12