Hey Guys!
I've been looking around for a 'smallish' machining center for a while, was originally planing to buy new or nearly new but seems I can't afford to do that. While looking around for other options I stumbled across this machine. It's an OKK PCV40, and looks like the nicest thing I've seen used that fits my budget. It has an 18 station toolchanger, the control is an "OKK PNC MATIC', from the admittedly not very detailed photos it looks to be in ok shape.

The machine is described to be 'a good solid machine with plenty of life left' but is not currently under power. I'm guessing I'll have issues with missing parameters when power is applied again, I doubt the backup batteries were still good.

This would be my first VMC, I've run a few CNC routers in the past. I'm very comfortable with CAD/CAM and also fairly comfortable with electronics, programming and mechanical stuff. I have a manual mill and lathe in the shop where this machine would be moved to.

Is this machine something that could be a reasonable first machine? I'm ok with spending some time (up to a month or two) working on it to get it back into shape to make parts, but I'll want it to be fairly reliable after that...

How would I get code into this control? Drip feed via RS232 or something similar? Would I be better off possibly doing a retrofit to a modern flexible control like LinuxCNC (which I've used in the past and am comfortable with) or should I leave it with the stock control?

Also, the machine says it's a #40 taper. Is this compatible with CT40 tooling or is it some other standard?

Thanks guys! Any help is greatly appreciated! This is a new area for me and I don't want to get the rigger moving this in only to find out it'll become furniture!
-Aaron