586,389 active members*
3,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > [Build Thread] Ballisticarmsco's G0704 build
Page 3 of 4 1234

Re: [Build Thread] Ballisticarmsco's G0704 build

I'm not using pwm.
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Thanks Ray, that is the relationship I was thinking of. If he was only getting 3000 rpm max and each change was 600 rpm something is wrong. 5 steps?
    A lazy man does it twice.

Ok guys, i believe i have resolved my spindle issue. After much reading and tinkering, i found that the one setting i was not setting back was the kernal speed i had in the original setup of 45khz. After the reinstall a and a little motor tuning i have it reading pretty close to the actual spindle speeds. Seems like i need to fully read the mach3 manual, so that is what i will be doing over the weekend as well as trying to finish up making the mounting brackets.
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

IIRC the spindle speed will be very close to commanded at the mid rpm range and varies a bit more to each extreme. I believe the actual motor rpms are often overlooked and mistaken for spindle rotation in the set up.

Yeah the output on the C11 Bob is analog so the reading isn't going to be exact.
    I don't have a lathe so I had to improvise with the mill to make the pins for the x-axis ballnut mount.
    G0704 CNC ballscrew mount pins - YouTube
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Finally received my z axis driver this week! I now have everything needed for the conversion. I have been making the mounting brackets when i have time, business has been crazy busy. Planning on testing out the new driver and getting all my electronics mounted in their box this weekend and hopefully finish the mounts. Also the micro limit switches i purchased from AT, are they even worth wiring up or should i look for a better one?
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Had a productive weekend, finished getting all electronics wired and mounted in the new box. I also picked up some 4in led accent lights from walmart to mount around the spindle. I ended up blowing a fuse trying to find a 12v source to power them on the G0704 eletronics, so i will be using a 12v wallwerks ps going to a switch on the head. I'm almost finished with the mounting hardware, hopefully will be tearing everything down and installing the ballscrews by this weekend.

Attachment 256394
    Attachment 256396
    Attachment 256398
    Attachment 256400
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141109_180144.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	256402
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Fans? I would think 2 are needed 1 in, 1 out.

Agree a fan would be good, but one with some vents would be plenty.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

I have fans but I'm going to wait and see how much heat is actually generated before I mount any.
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

well it looks like i may have fried my motor controller board on the mill. i put in the new fuses and it keeps blowing them.:tired:
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Anyone have one laying around?
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

controller or motor? I do have a controller that I just replaced on my 0704. I replaced the motor and controller. The motor went up in smoke and I had a 1000 watt laying around with a KBmm125.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    controller or motor? I do have a controller that I just replaced on my 0704. I replaced the motor and controller. The motor went up in smoke and I had a 1000 watt laying around with a KBmm125.
    Yeah its the controller, but i just got off the phone with grizzly and they are going to replace it. Hopefully it will be here by Friday! I may go ahead and order a kbmm-125 and a new motor anyways since i was planning on doing that upgrade and the belt drive in the future.
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Got the new controller board in today and I'm back up and running! Started working on my mount and ended up milling the bearing pockets in the y-axis extension about .020 oversize. Is this going to be a problem, or should I scrap the part? Seems to me it would be OK since the bearings are riding on the ballscrew and jammed against the inside of the pocket.
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

I've variously:
    Shimmed
    Raised the walls of the pocket to make it smaller by putting a series of punch marks (ideally done by knurling)

Another option is bearing ?sealant (can't think of the term). Designed to fit bearings in oversized pockets or undersized shafts.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Like what pippin suggested, you can put a .010 shim around the bearing to fill the gap and it will work fine.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Thanks for the info guys. Also what what would be the best way to cut the partial radius on the x axis ballnut mount?
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Ok guys, i have the x and y axis assembled and the y seems to be working fine but my x axis stepper is acting strange. It keeps changing direction of rotation and then freezing up, any ideas as to what might be wrong?
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Well, i tried switching the x and y connections to see if the problem still exists and the x seems fine now but my y jam nuts keep losing and causing the oldham connector to disconnect.

UPDATE: I believe i have found the culprit of the motor switching directions, one of the soldered connections on the connector is loose. doh
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Page 3 of 4 1234