586,361 active members*
3,479 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

I need help to solve some inquiry

Hello

sorry for my poor english,

I have a dream to build a 6-9(I know the six axis is enough for me) axis CNC if possible. a combination of CNC lathe and CNC router.

This CNC have to work with both wood and metals.

I know here are very useful information related to my inquiry, but since my English is not good enough to read every things, I need your help to find my answers please!

let me explain some thing about my dream:

- my CNC router will have a 6 axis and look like this:

Attachment 253996
    - it has BT series Spindle like BT30.
    - I will obtain my plan and design from some paid DIY plans and combine them to make it suitable for myself.
    - I want it to have a ATC system.
    - it will work with both soft and hard material like aluminum and steel.
    - and also it has some sensor like height and etc.
    - my CAD/CAM/CAE software is Catia V5.

and here are my inquiry:

1 - I want to build the control box by myself, is there any good DIY schematic or circuit which can control all it's 6 axis and sensor and can I obtain it freely or paid?
    2 - what is the best PC-Based CNC control software I can use? if this software can do almost anythings instead of somethings!!! is much more better, who know what will needed in future days?
    * if this software can control 9 axis at least, it made me so happy
    3 - is there any DIY plan to building Servo motor drive?
    4 - which specification should it have to work with metal like Iron?

I Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,
    Siavash

Re: I need help to solve some inquiry

Oh I forgot some other inquiry:

5 - does it possible to connect three 3axis controller to computer separately and introduce them to PC-base CNC control software in order to have a 9axis controller board?
    6 - does it possible to use a combination of both servo and stepper in the same time in one CNC router?

Thank you in advance,
    Regards,
    Siavash

LinuxCNC can do 9 axes I believe. It can handle a mix of servos and steppers.

What do you need 9 axes for?
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    LinuxCNC can do 9 axes I believe. It can handle a mix of servos and steppers.

What do you need 9 axes for?
    Hello

Thanks for your replying. 9 axes is not really important! have you any ideas about my other inquiry?

Thank you again
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by wubian View Post
    Hello

sorry for my poor english,

I have a dream to build a 6-9(I know the six axis is enough for me) axis CNC if possible. a combination of CNC lathe and CNC router.

This CNC have to work with both wood and metals.

[That's not likely to work too well, unless you have an extremely well-equipped factory to build it in and a crew of experienced machine designers and mechanics. Foam, plastic, wax and wood would be feasible on a shop-built design like this, metals not so much.]

I know here are very useful information related to my inquiry, but since my English is not good enough to read every things, I need your help to find my answers please!

let me explain some thing about my dream:

- my CNC router will have a 6 axis and look like this:

Attachment 253996
    - it has BT series Spindle like BT30.
    - I will obtain my plan and design from some paid DIY plans and combine them to make it suitable for myself.

[Which plans are those?]

- I want it to have a ATC system.
    - it will work with both soft and hard material like aluminum and steel.

[It might work to some extent on aluminum if you do an excellent job of constructing it, but steel would be much more difficult.]

- and also it has some sensor like height and etc.
    - my CAD/CAM/CAE software is Catia V5.

[With that software, you could come up with a nice design, but building it is another issue. You'd need a machine about that strong to build it, although it wouldn't require all those axes.]

and here are my inquiry:

What is the best PC-Based CNC control software I can use? if this software can do almost anythings instead of somethings!!! is much more better, who know what will needed in future days? * if this software can control 9 axis at least, it made me so happy

[Your best bet, as has been pointed out, is LinuxCNC. But usually machines like this run on dedicated proprietary controllers.]

I want to build the control box by myself, is there any good DIY schematic or circuit which can control all it's 6 axis and sensor and can I obtain it freely or paid? Is there any DIY plan to building Servo motor drive?

[I don't know of anybody who builds their own servo drives; it's way out the range of a normal DIY project. Wiring up 6 pre-built drivers for your 6 axes isn't as complicated, although I've never seen any published schematics for doing that. You might ask about it on the LinuxCNC forum. ]

Which specification should it have to work with metal like Iron?

Regards,
    Siavash
    [Here's what machines like that look like: http://img.directindustry.com/images...98-7896120.jpg They go for about a million US dollars, and aren't really the sort of thing people normally build at home. You might look in the Links section of my site for sources of the controllers, drives, and other components you'd need to build a CNC mill. But if you haven't ever built a CNC machine before, I'd suggest you start with a smaller, less ambitious project before launching into this one. The things you will learn in the course of building and using a 3 or 4-axis mill will help you a lot when it comes to designing and building your Dream Machine.]
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    [Here's what machines like that look like: http://img.directindustry.com/images...98-7896120.jpg They go for about a million US dollars, and aren't really the sort of thing people normally build at home. You might look in the Links section of my site for sources of the controllers, drives, and other components you'd need to build a CNC mill. But if you haven't ever built a CNC machine before, I'd suggest you start with a smaller, less ambitious project before launching into this one. The things you will learn in the course of building and using a 3 or 4-axis mill will help you a lot when it comes to designing and building your Dream Machine.]
    Hi dear Andrew,

Thank your for taking time and wrote for me, your pic fall me in a very good "Dream".

could I ask you to please answer this question?

does it possible to connect two 5axis cnc controller board to a PC in order to control 10 motor with two 5 axis controller instead of one 10 axis board? you know, the number of axis is not really important, I want to know the possibility of connecting two controller board To software like Mach 3.

Thank you so much in advanced
    Regards

Mach3 doesn't support that as far as I know

Quote Originally Posted by klaas123 View Post
    Mach3 doesn't support that as far as I know
    Thank you so much dear Klaas123 for your reply.

after some search and looking inside mach 3 I found this "may possible" to use second port in mach 3 based on their mach 3 manual:

"
    If you are using one or more PCI add-on parallel port cards, then you will need to determine the
    address to which each responds.
    If you are going to use a second port, repeat the above steps for it.
    Close the Device Manager, System Properties, and Control Panel windows.
    Enter the address that you just looked up as the first port's address on the Port Setup and Axis Selec- tion dialog. Do not provide the 0x prefix to say it is Hexadecimal, as Mach3 assumes this. If necessary, check Enabled for port 2 and enter its address in the same way.

(mach3 manual, page 65 : http://www.machsupport.com/wp-conten...all_Config.pdf)
    "

Regards
    Siavash

Hello all,

could any body help me to find a good answer for my first and third question in my first post?

I just rewrite them here, Thank you so much in advance:

1 - I want to build the control box by myself, is there any good DIY schematic or circuit which can control all it's 6 axis and sensor and can I obtain it freely or paid?
    3 - is there any DIY plan to building Servo motor drive?

Regards
    Siavash