Hi folks,
I've somehow convinced myself that I cannot live without a CNC plasma cutter:banana: And I want to build my own but sadly realize there is quite a bit I still need to learn up on before expecting some success. Hopefully I can get a little advice here to get me going or at least pointed further forward.

First, a little background for those willing to advise.....I have a decent bit of hobby CNC experience, having built two and a halve(2 complete from scratch and a major retrofit of an EBAy special) small CNC routers that perform to my satisfaction. I am comfortable with the operation of steppers, drives, basic electronics to control those, linear motion mechanics, some CAD, some CAM, Mach3 for routers/mills, and the occasional light hand g-coding from time to time.

I have committed to purchasing a secondhand(but unused) Hypertherm Powermax45 this weekend that has a manufacture date of 9/2011. I have no expectations of ever a need to cut thicker than 1/2" material. I have a G-540, powersupply, a handful plus of 380 to 425ish hundred inch/oz steppers, ball bearing linear slides, and so on.

But I have next to no experience with plasma cutters, and have been doing a good bit of searching here and elsewhere round the www to get some answers. I still have a few real basic questions before I can even make a start...........

1. Is the plasma cutter I am purchasing a good candidate for CNC; specifically regarding ease of integration to ATHC(which I just learned of like yesterday), ease of finding and connecting the CNC required type torch(versus handheld,which I assume it will come with), etc.?

2. What total costs might I expect for purchasing all needed components for an entry level, hobby oriented(but not junk), torch height control system? Recommendations on where to start looking for this?

3. I am considering using geared pulleys/toothed belts to accomplish the relatively rapid linear motion; any plasma specific problems with this, seems most I have browsed use r & p?