586,637 active members*
2,966 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Open Source CNC Machine Designs > Wiring Diagram for Generic Breakout board, home and Limit Switches, Generic Drives.
Page 2 of 2 12
    Great drawing it realy helps me im a newbe to cnc but im realy confused about the 5 volts though +5 volts on the drive were does it come from i have a small 5volt supply can i use it to power the breakout board and the drives OH and why doesn't the drives have a negative connection

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...3&d=1132345650

Note: the above drawing shows steppers as Uni-Polar. That is a typo. Steppers are Bi-Polar.

Use an external 5 volt supply.

On the drives the + side of the 5 volts goes to the power pin on the drives.

The - side (ground or common) of the 5 volt supply goes to the common (pins 18 thru 25) on the breakout board.

The breakout board common is also (internally) wired common to the computer parallel port.

The settings in the software (Mach, TurboCNC, etc) for the step and direction parameters should be set to ACTIVE LOW since the logic power (positive side per drawing) is connected to the drive.

Jerry

Hey Jery thanks for the drawing your a greate help to me, i realy appreacite it
    one more question if you dont mind. The 470 uF Cap is that nessary on top of the 50 volt 33000 uF on the 24 volt power supply.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frankg521 View Post
    Hey Jery thanks for the drawing your a greate help to me, i realy appreacite it
    one more question if you dont mind. The 470 uF Cap is that nessary on top of the 50 volt 33000 uF on the 24 volt power supply.
    Frank
    Yes.
    One needs a capacitor (470 uF) at the power supply terminals on the drive.

The reason for the capacitor is to filter any reverse EMF voltage spikes from the drive currents as much as possible and as close as possible to the source.

As the steppers ramp down from a higher speed to a lower speed, or to a stop, the steppers then act as generators, creating voltages and currents which are out of phase from the applied power source. This EMF will show up at the drive voltage input terminals.

If these spikes have to travel thru the power supply wiring back to the main filter capacitor, it can cause radiated EMI (electrical magnetic interference) inside the electronics enclosure. This can be induced (by mutual induction) into any other signal lines such as step, direction, solid state relays, etc. and can cause various intermittant or eratic operation. It can also under some conditions destroy electronic components.

Jerry

Limit/Home switch wiring

Jerry,
    I realize that it's been some time since you originally posted the wiring diagram, but it really helped me understand things a lot better. Although your diagram shows both limit and home switches, I understand that Mach3 will allow you to use one axis switch for both limit and home functions. I'm presently wiring my Bridgeport Series I, which has Normally Open switches. The X and Y axes each have one switch, and the Z axis has 3switches. I'm going to connect the uppermost switch on Z to the breakout board. Please let me know if I'm on the right track.

Marv Frankel
    Los Angeles

Marv,
    You are on the right track. The drawing was made to indicate how the system should be wired Failsafe in an industrial environment.

You are correct, in that Mach can know the physical location of a switch and can through the software create and determine software home and limit switches. Also the physical switch can be set as normally open or closed in software.

Goodluck on your project. I have not been active on this site for a couple of years, as I have been involved in other projects.

Glad you took the time to let me know that the drawing was not in vain.

Thanks,
    Jerry

i have a doubt here.
    i agree using the limits as home switches(as mach is capable of doing that)
    but what abt wiring the limits in series.
    say iam jogging towards X+ and touched that side limit.now iam supposed to jog towards X-(using limit override function).here how the mach know which side iam jogging.as the limits are in over ride condition and we wired them in series mach dosen't know which side is to jog and which side to stop.
    i tried this on my machine.the axis touched the X+ limit,so i clicked limit override and again jogged toward X+ and it crossed the limit.
    so how safe it is.(am i doing something wrong here)
    i was planning for another parallelport,so that i can assign separate input for each limit switch.imean for X+ and X-

Im just happy to be here

I don't have an opinion about the thread but I love electronics and talking about them. Keep going.

Jerry,
    Newbie to this CNC stuff. I wanted to hook up to my laptop computer with the USB port, so I bought the SmoothStepper controller and the SmoothStepper break out board. My problem is I don't know how to hook up the SmoothStepper break out board to Keling 4030 drivers and if I need an external 5vdc power supply or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mwjohnson View Post
    Jerry,
    Newbie to this CNC stuff. I wanted to hook up to my laptop computer with the USB port, so I bought the SmoothStepper controller and the SmoothStepper break out board. My problem is I don't know how to hook up the SmoothStepper break out board to Keling 4030 drivers and if I need an external 5vdc power supply or not.

1. Hooking up the Break out board to the Keling 4030 Drivers. Here is a factory link with pdf file for downloading.

www.kelinginc.net/KL-4030.pdf

2. External power supply 5 Volts DC

You should not need an external 5 Volt supply.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you very much for the info.

Another thing I am confused about is the manual that comes with the Smooth Stepper break out board:

http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C25R1_1_USER_MANUAL.pdf

On the board it says: Port 2 Pins 2-9 for Input

In the manual further down on page 3 #4 it says: Inputs 2-9 (Port 1 simplified.......... right below Fig. 1 says .....for the port 1 outputs 2-9.

Down further on the page in 4.2, the same thing happens for Port 2.

I suppose I should just contact Smooth Stepper or CNC4PC, but you seem to respond very quickly and in terms that I can understand, so any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm being very cautious before powering up, so I don't damage anything. The boards are kind of pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by mwjohnson View Post
    Jerry,

Thank you very much for the info.

Another thing I am confused about is the manual that comes with the Smooth Stepper break out board:

http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C25R1_1_USER_MANUAL.pdf

On the board it says: Port 2 Pins 2-9 for Input

In the manual further down on page 3 #4 it says: Inputs 2-9 (Port 1 simplified.......... right below Fig. 1 says .....for the port 1 outputs 2-9.

Down further on the page in 4.2, the same thing happens for Port 2.

I suppose I should just contact Smooth Stepper or CNC4PC, but you seem to respond very quickly and in terms that I can understand, so any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm being very cautious before powering up, so I don't damage anything. The boards are kind of pricey.

My Response:
    On page 2, Section 3, under Specifications, the number of digital inputs are listed as follows:

5@ port 1 13@ port 1

I think this is most likely an error in printing the manual. It is my personal belief that it should read as follows:

5 @ Port 1 13 @ Port 2

Also, under the same Specification heading is listed the digital outputs. It shows 12 digital outputs at Port 1 and 4 digital outputs at Port 2. This statement appears to be correct. If you will compare the total inputs and outputs of each port (as I believe they should be) you will find the following:

Port 1:
    Inputs 5 Outputs 12 Total = 17

Port 2:
    Inputs 13 Outputs 4 Total = 17

I also believe that some of the diagrams in Section 4 are mis-labeled such as Outputs being called Inputs and so forth.

Something that is VERY CONFUSING to many people is that they want to use the inputs to wire up the step and direction signals to the drivers. This is not correct.

FOR CORRECT WIRING OF THE STEP AND DIRECTION SIGNALS from the breakout board to the motor driver modules:

Use Port 1

IN MACH 3 SET OUTPUTS ON THE FOLLOWING PINS (2 thru 9) TO ACTIVE LOW WHICH TRANSLATES TO ACTIVE UPON TRANSITION FROM 5 VOLTS TO 0 VOLTS DC. If the system does not operate correctly, set the ABOVE output pins to ACTIVE HIGH.

Pin #1 not used
    Pin #2 Step signal to Driver Motor #1
    Pin #3 Direction signal for Driver Motor #1
    Pin #4 Step signal to Driver Motor #2
    Pin #5 Direction signal for Driver Motor #2
    Pin #6 Step signal to Driver Motor #3
    Pin #7 Direction signal for Driver Motor #3
    Pin #8 Step signal to Driver Motor #4 If used
    Pin #9 Direction signal for Driver Motor #4 If used

Hope this helps in your endeavor. Good luck.
    Jerry

Pin # was used to define Terminal#

I used the old terminology of pin (as denoted on a parallel printer port breakout board) without my brain reminding me that you were working with terminal numbers.

So, the pin numbers in the above post are the actual terminals on the different ports.

Did not want to create any confusion on this point.

Jerry

Thank you much Jerry!

I beleive I understand now, and I'm ready to move forward.

The info. you gave me was exactly what I was looking for.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 12