586,354 active members*
3,352 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Bad Oil Line

Bad Oil Line

I bought some replacement oil line from Tormach and it is completely different stuff than my 770 has on it. The new stuff is super stiff. The oil line on my mill is very flexible. Has anyone else been forced to use this miserable stuff? When I questioned Tormach about the difference they were completely clueless. Anyone know if the original stuff is available somewhere?

Re: Bad Oil Line

My 1100 has the stiff plastic line on it, we used it on machinery in the dairy for grease lines, it will take higher pressures than the softer material.
    mike sr

It also increases the flow to the farthest fitting. The lines expand under pressure (very slightly). So all things equal two lines on the same pump of different lengths will receive different amounts of oil because the slight expansion * double length = less oil for the Z than the others.

Hence steel braded brake lines. Heat is an issue on vehicles, but the expansion in general creates a more spongie feel. That's energy/efficiency lost.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    It also increases the flow to the farthest fitting. The lines expand under pressure (very slightly). So all things equal two lines on the same pump of different lengths will receive different amounts of oil because the slight expansion * double length = less oil for the Z than the others.

Hence steel braded brake lines. Heat is an issue on vehicles, but the expansion in general creates a more spongie feel. That's energy/efficiency lost.

Brian
    WOT Designs
    One BIG difference - brake lines on a car can easily see over 1000 PSI. The oil lines on a mill will rarely, if ever see even 100 PSI, especially with a spring-loaded pump. At 100PSI, expansion is insignificant.

Regards,
    Ray L.

So is the amount of oil that actually makes it to the Z gib, and mine isn't spring loaded it's a pump but still no where near 100 psi, but I think my analogy caused you to miss the point.

The soft small lines can be rated as low as 50psi and WIL ABSOLUTELY have some expansion under ANY pressure. On a hot day significantly more. We may be talking 0.0001" but transfered along a distance of 8 feet and compared to another line that is shorter and has less lift... That's oil lost to an already under oiled point on the Tormach

Brian
    WOT Designs

Quote Originally Posted by inov8r View Post
    I bought some replacement oil line from Tormach and it is completely different stuff than my 770 has on it. The new stuff is super stiff. The oil line on my mill is very flexible. Has anyone else been forced to use this miserable stuff? When I questioned Tormach about the difference they were completely clueless. Anyone know if the original stuff is available somewhere?
    Check out McMaster Carr. They have a ton of tubing for barb fittings and most can be ordered in 10-25 ft lengths and get down to $0.17/ft

Brian
    WOT Designs

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    So is the amount of oil that actually makes it to the Z gib, and mine isn't spring loaded it's a pump but still no where near 100 psi, but I think my analogy caused you to miss the point.

The soft small lines can be rated as low as 50psi and WIL ABSOLUTELY have some expansion under ANY pressure. On a hot day significantly more. We may be talking 0.0001" but transfered along a distance of 8 feet and compared to another line that is shorter and has less lift... That's oil lost to an already under oiled point on the Tormach

Brian
    WOT Designs
    Yes, and at the end of each line is typically a check valve (without which you'll get horribly uneven flow), the opening pressure of which is FAR more variable, and will imbalance the flow by a MUCH larger factor. Difference oiling points will also often have different sized orifices integrate into the check valves, which will also affect the balance of flow greatly. These are both very coarse and crude adjustments - not at all precise.. What matters is that oil gets to ALL oiling points. The exact volume is not at all critical, as long as the lowest flowing one gets enough. The rest will get too much, by varying amounts, which is harmless. If ANY point is not getting enough oil, then you simply need to give the pump another pull. The only way to know is do to a visual inspection periodically, as the valves and orifices do tend to get clogged over time. Expansion of the line is a completely insignificant factor, and not worth worrying about. The "soft" line will work just fine.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I just have my pump, pump twice as often. Problem solved