586,493 active members*
1,744 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Erickson QC 30 tooling

I am using a Bridgeport Boss rigid ram (after I retrofitted the CNC) for the first time, and need to buy QC 30 tooling. NMTB 30 tooling will NOT fit in the spindle, it has a lock-nut from the bottom with no drawbar - the spindle itself is solid.

Does anyone know where they sell the imported holders? Enco doesnt appear to have them, and of course I can buy Kennametal or other name brand - I don't want to overspend a premium on tooling I use for first time learning.

-Erich Stein
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

I had the same problem and came up with 2 solutions.
    1. Modify the NMTB holders to fit the Ericson retainer. The biggest difference seems to be the diameter of the flange, and in some cases the thickness. I turned the flanges down to the correct diameter to fit inside the coupler and in some cases the thickness of the flange had to be trimmed to get the coupler nut to be in the tightening range. I purchased several NM 30 tool holders from Grizzly.com for under $30.00, so if you do ruin one, yer not out a fortune.
    2. I, like you, upgraded my controller. I liked the idea of a power drawbar, but as you know the spindle is solid. So I removed my spindle and drilled it out to accept a drawbar. It may sound over your capabilities, but it is actually easier than you think. The spindle itself is only case hardened, and once you break through the case it is easily drilled with an entended drill bit.
    Once the hole was drilled, I installed a Maxi-torque Rite power drawbar. I eliminated the Ericson coupler nut and had to make the drive keys about 3/16" longer to engage the tool holder slightly before the draw bar tightens. This would make sure the tool holder was aligned with the keys when you hit the tighten control button, as it works fast.
    This conversion makes life so much better.....
    "ain't much that can't be repaired, rebuilt or replaced..."

Bristol Ericson Toolholders

Bristol Ericson was devlope in 'Bristol' England, I do know that Coventry Toolholders make the BE 30 & 40 quick-change holders, and they have a office in the US, becuase they also make the Centreline driven heads, this is their website: http://www.coventrytoolholders.co.uk/index.htm

Does anyone have acopy of the Ericson spec for modifying the NMTB-30 tool holders to fit the Ericson QC-30?
    Thanks, Chrissi

QC30 Erickson

I have a Boss3 with the erickson spindel and I have holder's I will measure one and P.M. or post a drawing with diminsons Good luck Kevin

Used #30 tooling source

You may try this site. I have delt with him on many occasions and have had good results

http://rowe-machinery.com/

QC 30 Erickson

OD. 1.812 Flang thicknes .345 I have some lindex and erickson with my Boss3 Good luck Kevin

Thanks guys

For the measurements and links.
    Every time I look at used tool holders and bay stuff by the time you add shipping it is almost near what I would pay new for Bison QC-30.
    I'm wondering how much hardening is done to the flanges; I don't really want to abuse my lathe trying to machine down the flanges of some non QC ones I do have. I have also noticed the flanges on some of the used ones get chipped where he two drive notches are, I am curious how this happens (how to prevent it as well) and can this be built up by TIG welding material on there and machining/grinding it down?
    Thanks, Chrissi

Bristol Erickson Quick Change Tooling

I learn recently from Coventry Toolholders that can indentify and cross reference all the old Bristol Erickson Quick-Change part numbers. They also have an office in the US, becuase they also own the "Centreline" driven tooling. This is their website: http://www.coventrytoolholders.co.uk/index.htm

Re: Bristol Erickson Quick Change Tooling

Figured I'd revive this old post in case anyone needs the info. I found a company in CT called Somma tool that still advertises QC30 tooling in their catalog. Leadtimes are between 1-3 weeks. Here is the link:

Somma Tool Company - N.M.T.B. Shank Collet Chucks
    I don't know much about anything but I know a little about everything....