586,438 active members*
3,995 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie Pathing Problem - Tool Width?

I'm experimenting with my new ShopBot and trying to solve a bit of a mystery - I suspect the answer to this may be pretty obvious, so I thank you for your patience in advance.

Here is the piece I am making - cut from scrap 2x4 (excuse the two screw holes):

Attachment 253726 Basically, it's two cylinders - one added to a rectangle shape, and the other subtracted. They are perfectly identical and round in Rhino.

I am doing two passes - one roughing pass with a 0.25" end mill, and a finishing pass with a 0.25" ball end. Everything works well. I preview the passes in RhinoCAM and they look good. Export and preview in the Shopbot software and everything looks good.

However, when I cut, the two cylinders are not perfectly round. If you look at the profile of the shape, you can see that the left side of the cutout cylinder looks fairly round, but the right is stretched:

Attachment 253728

Because it looks fine in both previews in RhinoCAM and the ShopBot preview, I am assuming the fault is something mechanical or to do with my tool selection?? Is it that my selection of a 0.25" ball mill is too large for this radius of curve, or am I missing something else?

Thanks!

Re: Newbie Pathing Problem - Tool Width?

I would have said a mechanical problem. Either a grub screw loose or something like that. But when all else looks fine, it must be a programming fault.

It looks to me like that the two curved surfaces, both the top part, going round over, and the bottom part where it is routed inside, is stretched in the same direction, or should the area in the top of your piece look like that??

That is correct, they are both stretched in the same direction. The parts should be perfectly round - I modelled them from cylinders, but for some reason, when I cut, I get the stretch as you noted. In preview/render, it looks round as well. The problem occurs only when I run the program on the CNC

Looks like some type of backlash in the Z axis maybe.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)