586,129 active members*
2,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > how to do this in solidworks 2013

how to do this in solidworks 2013

learning solidworks.Trying to do something but need help.

i am trying to make the piece in the pic but how do you slice a round piece on a angle like that in solidworks. i know it has to be pretty simple just not sure what to do? Is there a tool to extrude cut on a angle like that or maybe do i have to somehow create a angled plane? Please let me know best way of doing it .I know how to do everything but angle it. thanks
    Grizzly G0602-AXA QCTP<<< Soon to be CNC and 3PHA-VFD !
    7x14Lathe, X2cncmillG540 Solidworks,HSMworks,VcarvePro

Re: how to do this in solidworks 2013

i think you can use split tool. You need a plane at that angle.
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

How do i create a plane at that angle ? I know how to do it on a square shape but not seem to be workin on a circle.

i was playing around and think i got it. Not sure if this is the correct way though as its hard to get the measurements i need but i can make the part shape. what i did was create a plane offset from the top .on top plane i put a construction line on left and plane 1 a construction line on right . Then i created the angle plane off the two construction lines . next i sketched a circle on top plane and extruded it through the angle plane. next i used split tool splitting at the angle plane and consumed the split part i didnt need. it makes the part shape but is that correct way of doing it? its such a simple part ,id think there would be a easier faster way to do this?

Anyone still using solidworks ??

Pick a plane that is perpendicular to where to want your angle cut. Put a sketch line on that plane in the location relative to the part. Do a "cut through" all in both directions.
    If that's what you are looking for. See attached. Still using Solidworks since '97 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnis View Post
    Anyone still using solidworks ??
    Yep.

As with anything else in Solidworks, there are about 1 million ways to do this, so "the right way" just depends on the particular situation and what you have available. Most methods will involve creating either a plane or a surface to do the cutting, but not all. If you happen to have an existing plane through the cylinder axis that is orthogonal to the cut plane, you could do it with a single sketch line and cut. If not, then you may need to create other geometry to do what you need.

If you upload your model I could take a look and see if there may be a simpler way.

EDIT: Mike beat me to it.

C|

how do i upload a solidworks file here?

yup mike thats what im looking to do. im checking out yours now so i can learn what you did.

how do i upload a solidworks file here?

It's actually a bit of a pain. When you reply you have to click the "go advanced" button to bring up the editor where you can attach files. Underneath the reply box is where you add attachments. Annoyingly all attachments have to be zipped, even if they are single files.

C|

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 1948 View Post
    Pick a plane that is perpendicular to where to want your angle cut. Put a sketch line on that plane in the location relative to the part. Do a "cut through" all in both directions.
    If that's what you are looking for. See attached. Still using Solidworks since '97 :-)
    ok i think i got it . Pretty simple huh. So what i did was extrude a cirle on the op plane ., Then create sketch on right plane and draw line set to angle needed and then just extrude cut that in both directions. Sweet . i didnt know you could extrude cut a single line.

one other question i have that may come up in the future. How do i create a angled plane off of a extruded circle like this one ?

ok i think i got it . Pretty simple huh. So what i did was extrude a cirle on the op plane ., Then create sketch on right plane and draw line set to angle needed and then just extrude cut that in both directions. Sweet . i didnt know you could extrude cut a single line.
    I don't normally use this function either. Not sure why honestly.

one other question i have that may come up in the future. How do i create a angled plane off of a extruded circle like this one ?
    That line you used to cut the cylinder can also be used to create a plane. Just use that line along with one of the existing planes to define the angled plane.

Attachment 255752

C|

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    I don't normally use this function either. Not sure why honestly.

That line you used to cut the cylinder can also be used to create a plane. Just use that line along with one of the existing planes to define the angled plane.

Attachment 255752

C|
    gotcha .thanks.

Use a single line and a plane you want, then run the plane routine, lots of options.

FYI when doing the cut with the sketch it does not have to be a single line.

Mike