586,139 active members*
3,152 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport VMC 3020 tooling?

Hello all, new to the forum so if this would fit better in a different area let me know.

I purchased a 2000 VMC 3020 Bridgeport mill about a month ago, It's in the shop behind my house and I had a couple basic questions. Haven't been able to really fire it up yet as I am getting 3 phase power ran, but right now I have a small phase converter I have been running my smaller manual equipment off of.

My question is, this is my first CNC I've owned and I purchased it off eBay, supposedly it is a CAT 40 machine. I know they made theses with both cat40 and BT40 tool changers. Is there a way I can check by looking at the tool changer before I start buying tool holders? It does not say anywhere in the manuals.

I also am trying to figure out what retention studs these use assuming it is cat40. Seems like there is a lot of different style studs online.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Re: Bridgeport VMC 3020 tooling?

So the main difference is in the pull stud and the thread in the tool holder and the flange. If you take a few pictures of your tool holders on your tool changer I can compare it to mine which is a BT40. I seem to recall that BT40 was the standard and CAT40 was optional.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia View Post
    So the main difference is in the pull stud and the thread in the tool holder and the flange. If you take a few pictures of your tool holders on your tool changer I can compare it to mine which is a BT40. I seem to recall that BT40 was the standard and CAT40 was optional.

Richard
    Yah, I know that the BT is a metric thread pull stud and the Cat is 5/8-11 I believe. What I'm looking for is which ones I need for the changer. Here is a picture, I pulled it out to see if there was any numbers on it but there weren't. I appreciate if you can check yours out maybe even send me a picture?

My machine is down (bad triac causing tool changer to continuously spin) but I will see what I can get for you tomorrow afternoon/evening.

If you don't hear from me feel free to poke me with a pm or something.

Richard

Here are a couple pics of the carousel fingers on my TC1g. My machine uses BT40 holders. Notice the differences between the flange area on mine vs yours.

I was also under the impression that there was a mark on these segments somewhere that denoted either BT or CAT?

Seems like I came across that information while searching old threads in this forum. Unfortunately, I did not save it for future reference so probably would require quite a bit of digging.

Another check, which works for the Torq-cut's at least, is to look up into the spindle, if the drawbar has 4 balls that grasp the pull stud, it is setup for BT40, if it has fingers, then CAT40.

The other thing you could do, and I would recommend, would be to speak with Mark at EMI, Electro-Mechanical Integrators. Also, the guys at bptparts.com are quite knowledgeable as well. Both of these places know their stuff when it comes to these machines.

In regards to pull studs, I have been getting mine from J&M Performance Products (JM Peformance). Give them a call and ask for Dick Brimer, he has been very helpful. They have a database that has many machine/pull stud combo's. Chances are they have info on the VMC 3020.

Hope this helps!

looks like you got your answer.... I could not provide better pictures.

Richard

Assuming those carousel segments are the same as mine, I'd say I have Cat40 as they definitely look different.

Maritool said that if I have a cat40 it is probably this pull stud as that is what most Bridgeport's use.

https://www.maritool.com/Retention-K...duct_info.html