Hi guys,

I'm interested to machine small parts from aluminium and steel (precision parts for model making).

After understanding (thanks to fellow forum members) that the chinese made budget CNC machines are not rigid enough for metal working, I understood that i'll have to build one my own.

I'm interested in building a small (desktop) 3 axis CNC machine that will be stiff enough to handle metals.
The key is that it has to be build small enough to stand on a desktop, but build from stiff parts to make it rigid to handle small metal parts machining (small runs, not mass production).
The working area I need from the machine is A4 paper sized working area (this might give you a hint about the size of cnc i'm looking to build)

I've seen on eBay many CNC machine kit parts being sold, But i'm not sure which are good for my build.

I know the best thing is to build the machine frame, rails etc from stainless steel or heavy duty aluminium.
I've heard I'll need ballscrews etc, all rigid and good quality.

I guess that I first need to build and complete the machine body (inc. the 3 axis) and after that fit it with stepper motors, spindle, electronics, psu, etc..

Could anyone list me the basic "shopping list" I need to get for assembling the basic machine body and 3 axis ?

Also, what type of material should specific parts of the machine be build from ?

How do tell between a heavy duty ballscrew and a lower-end cheap ballscrew ?

Do I have to build the machine from from stainless steel as well ? or rigid aluminium could do ?

Any help will be so much appreciated !