586,176 active members*
3,358 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Kollmorgen S Series A/C Servo drives: How do I connect them for Mach 3 Step/Direction
Page 3 of 4 1234

Re: Kollmorgen S Series A/C Servo drives: Mach 3 Step/Direc - ESS ???

for fortino_tan: I do not know how to send pix via PM so will post here - I THINK this is the thread you asked about this. here is screen shot of CD in electronic gearing mode so you can adjust speed per pulse input on step/dir.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MOTIONLINK Command Input  (Demo mode).jpg  

Re: Kollmorgen S Series A/C Servo drives: How do I connect them for Mach 3 Step/Direc

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    First, throw out post 18 pix - you show TWO drives interconnected. you will not be using that stepper drive shown in red.

attached is wiring diagram for ANY S or CD drive to Mach3.

I show dotted lines on A- & B- as my recollection of using step/dir is the minus sides have to held 1/2 way from 0 and 5vdc; hence a divider resistor network to hold at 2.5v

Manual pix attached does not show that but I think it is for simplicity. So wire first leaving those dotted lines OFF; if it does not work then add them. Tying them to 0 vdc does not work.

enable input is on connector C3. Also on C3 is fault output RELAY that you should eventually wire to mach 3 board so it knows if drive has a fault.

Mike,

I do not understand the enable circuit. Could you clarify by attached sketch which is correct?

Also can you show me an example of how the 'fault output relay' on C3 should be connected / used?

Re: Kollmorgen S Series A/C Servo drives: How do I connect them for Mach 3 Step/Direc

Quote Originally Posted by jxdxwx View Post

Mike,

I do not understand the enable circuit. Could you clarify by attached sketch which is correct?

Also can you show me an example of how the 'fault output relay' on C3 should be connected / used?
    B is correct.

relay output is simple normally open contact. so put +24v into pin 5, then wire pin 6 to one side of a 24v relay. other side of the relay coil goes to 24 common. then if NO FAULT, relay is energized. If fault, contact opens, relay drops out.

B is correct.

relay output is simple normally open contact. so put +24v into pin 5, then wire pin 6 to one side of a 24v relay. other side of the relay coil goes to 24 common. then if NO FAULT, relay is energized. If fault, contact opens, relay drops out.
    So the red and green circuit and green text in this attached picture is correct?

....sorry for all the cartoons. I understand and explain best visually.

John

Are the C3 pin numbers and how they are used correct in this cartoon?

Also I have 4 identicle servo drives. X1, X2, Y, Z.
    Would I tie all faults and enables together?

John

So the red and green circuit and green text in this attached picture is correct?

....sorry for all the cartoons. I understand and explain best visually.

John
    ok on enable , but green may be an issue: you show +24 into fault relay, out to to relay coil - but it then goes to ground?? other side of green relay needs to go back to the 24v common, which may or may not be grounded....

also, why do a relay at all? If object is to close a contact on 5v, then just send THAT 5v thru the fault contact directly. NO tie to the enable pins at all.

Are the C3 pin numbers and how they are used correct in this cartoon?

Also I have 4 identicle servo drives. X1, X2, Y, Z.
    Would I tie all faults and enables together?

John
    ah. you fixed the green wire common. good. but again, just run the blue thru it - KISS works.

You would tie all enables in parallel, all fault contacts in series, yes. ie., +24v into all pin 7's, your one enable sig into all pin 8's. You would likewise run +5vdc into X1 pin 5, run X1 pin 6 to X2 pin 5. X2 pin 6 to Y pin 5, Ypin 6 to Z pin 5, then lastly, Z pin 6 back to that screw on your control.

If you have a bazzilion inputs on control and want to know WHICH axis faults, you can make each fault contact its own input to control rather than in series. it is done both ways in industry.

Enjoy your step and dir input on ytour S600 drive! It too has been there for decades.

Unlike your other example, all the Kollmorgen's actually distinguish between handcrank, remote encoder, master slave encoder, position feedback encoder (like linear scale for position loop yet also take resolver or encoder for velocity loop too), and two methods of step/dir: 1) step/dir and step+/step- All in the software gui.

You will find your S600 has TWO possible step/dir inputs: 24v level thru digital i/o on main connector, or 5v differential on that extra feedback connector on top.

It does a fine job of integrating slow steps into smooth motion too (uses like 1/t vs freq/volt converter).

Enjoy! It will make a wonderful spindle drive!

Mike,

Please take a look at this and see if I am doing it right.

Attachment 276542

the step/dir connector is on TOP of your drive. no adapter required. just wire to it. enc equiv output is position feedback to your cnc.

In willn try a tonremember to reply tomorrow..... close but u need differential sigs.

[QUOTEmike_Kilroy;168454]the step/dir connector is on TOP of your drive. no adapter required. just wire to it. enc equiv output is position feedback to your cnc.[/QUOTE]

Mike,

The C8 Is on top of the drive.
    It is wired the best as I understand from the hand written sketch you made for me several months ago.

Please take another look. Trying to find out if what I have is correct.
    There is no adaptor in the picture.
    It is a picture of the drive mode setting, connector pinouts and how they connect to my breakout board.

If the picture is wrong it is because I dont understand how it needs to be wired. Or if there is wires missing from the drawing then im not understanding what else goes where.

All I am concerned about Is enable and step/direction and what else from C8 needs connected.(grounds?)

ok, I am in front of a computer with a keyborad again, not darn phone....

your diagram is correct EXCEPT it won't work as shown. Missing 2 wires. YOu MUST have A low and B low wired. both step & dir are DIFFERENTIAL signals and will not work single ended as you show.

It has been a while since I experimented but I believe the last time I had to use single ended, I biased the LOW sides to 2.5v.... IIRC these inputs will not work simply tied to 0 or 5vdc but you are free to try those first for KISS.

Just tie your +5v to pin2 and try it - see if it works.
    if not,
    Just tie your 0v (pc gnd in your picture to pin2 and try it - see if it works.
    if not,
    Do it right: solder two 480 or 1k 1/4 or 1/2 resistors in series and tie the ends to +5v and 0V on your Y connector. Take the center of the 2 reisstors to our C8 pin 2.

Do the same again with 2 more resistors to C8 pin 5.

As for enable, you got it. You do have -24 green going to C3 pin 9 for some reason - no idea why. You don't need that.just need what you show on C3 pins 7&8

Mike,

Ok, See if this looks right...

looks good.

Kilroy,

The cable doesn't work. Or at least the drive isn't moving.

My drive is in Mode 4 as displayed on the LED readout on the drive.
    And in a pull down menu within MOTIONLINK I have chosen PULSE & DIRECTION.

The machine that I am working on was originally set to analog input thru C3 connector.

Is there anything else that I may need to check, or uncheck in MOTIONLINK?
    Or is it possible the resistor selection or assembly is wrong?
    (it is just as drawing below)

Out of town today... did u pick top connector or front one for step and dir source?

Ur ml computer on internet? Want me to comen with u and help u figure it out?

should be easy to diagnose this.... see screen shot of how it should be set up. did you pick "remote enc input? if not, it will look for your pulses on digital input terminal strip as 24v sigs....

second, each time you send a step it should show up in the 'cumulative position' bucket on this page. nothing showing up means nothing being seen...

is motor holding position or just free wheeling?

if you move motor shaft, do you see it in any counters? the 'monitor' icon on top of ML is good to watch while you experiment - you can see motion of motor (feedback), command input (steps), and following error (difference between the two). it is all there to see.

should be easy to diagnose this.... see screen shot of how it should be set up. did you pick "remote enc input? What screenshot? I see no attachments.

Is motor holding position or just free wheeling? Not since I re-did the wires. But first try with only two wires connected the axis was 'creeping' in one direction with no control.

I will look over the drive settings when I get home and let you know. Yes my MotionLink computer is connected to the internet. It is currently the same computer that I am running Mach3 on also. Should be able to minimize screens if you need both to be running.

How and when do you want to connect thru internet ?

John

send me an email and I will send u link to free prog to let me connect with u. mike at kilroywashere dot com

Page 3 of 4 1234