586,655 active members*
3,539 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540 / G250X drivers not working...

G540 / G250X drivers not working...

Ok, I just purchased a Gecko G540 and today I got my motors wired (with the correct resistors, etc) so I could hook them up and try it out. I got a crappy power supply from an Ebay seller that I attempted to use, but it quick working shortly after I hooked it up to the Gecko. Yes I shut down the Gecko while I hook it up.

Anyway, I tested all the motors on the Y axis and got great speed and holding torque, even though I'm using my old 24V power supply until my replacement 48V unit arrives. The problem began when I hooked up all 3 axes. The X absolutely would not work. I tried switching it to pins 8 and 9 and using the A plug instead. Still no good. I changed it to 4 and 5 and it runs.

I did continuity tests on the DB25. All good. I moved the two offending drivers around. They would not work regardless of where I put them. Oddly one still lights up its LED when it's connected...

Anyway, am I screwed, or is there possibly a way to reset the driver boards or something? I do not need an A axis at the present, so even one working board would put my machine back to work.

Re: G540 / G250X drivers not working...

Call Gecko.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I did... I'm waiting on an RMA so I can send it in.

give gecko a call

they will tell you what to test
    on the G250's a resistor is designed to fail if the drive has been subjected to too high a supply voltage

depending on the results will ask you to return the faulty G250 drivers or the G540 for repair

they had a number of customers that have had their stepper driver damaged by faulty switch mode power supplies

a number of cheap switch mode power supplies give out excessive output voltages as they fail

John

PS
    just seen the other posts sent while I was typing !

No prob John, Yeah I told them what I wrote here and they just said send it in. lol

Do you know if you can run a unipolar stepper driver with bipolar wiring on your motors? I want to run my machine with my old drivers and BOB, but I have my motors all rewired for the Gecko and I do NOT want to go back to the unipolar crap.

Hi

since you can't connect a bipolar motor to a unipolar driver

to avoid disconnecting the D-type connectors supplied by Gecko from the motors

I would use three 9 way D-type sockets to connect to the four motor wires used by the G540
    you also need to re connect the 2 wires not used by the G540 that you have insulated

John

I hear ya. I am trying to develop a standard way of wiring all my motors so I can make adaptors for my Gecko and my Probotix drivers. Gives me something to do while the Gecko is at the doctor!

how about using a XLR6 plug on the motor - they are rated 7.5 A per pin @ 50V

Buy XLR Connectors 6 Way Male Straight Cable Mount XLR Connector, Silver over Nickel Plate, 50V Neutrik NC6MXX online from RS for next day delivery.

or

NEUTRIK XLR CABLE CONNECTORS - XX series - Canford

then make adaptor cables with inline XLR6 sockets and 9 pin D type plugs for the G540
    or XLR6 inline socket with 6 wire endes or what ever you used for the Probotix drives

the XLR connectors are latching so they don't fall out and take lots of abuse

the XLR3 connectors being used for cables to connect to audio mixers like this - SQN-5S Specification

John

PS

if you need a 7 pole connector with screened cables

the XLR7 is rated at 5A per pin - NC7FXX-B - Neutrik

PPS

XLR connectors are available from mouser.com -
    Service Unavailable ---- the link works but I'm redirected to uk mouser !

or

allelectronics.com
    http://www.allelectronics.com/index....d%5Bq%5D=xlr+6