586,946 active members*
2,697 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > 4 or 5" 4-jaw chuck for 7x12 mini lathe.

4 or 5" 4-jaw chuck for 7x12 mini lathe.

I started another post asking about the feasibility of the 5" chuck.

I'd like to know what peoples opinions between the 4" or 5" chuck.

I'm to the point where I need to purchase a 4-jaw chuck. The stock 3-jaw isn't precise enough and remounting the work is never accurate. For the time involved in shimming/rotating, testing, turning and indicating. I feel that I'd be better off just using a 4jaw to center the part.

I also get the added benefit of being about to turn square parts.

So with that said.

What would be the up and downsides of running a 5" or 4". Would there be long term problems with the additional weight of the 5".

Thanks.

Interesting post. I was all set to order both a 4 inch 3 jaw and a 4 inch 4 jaw chuck when I read about the 5 inch 3 jaw chuck working on a mini-lathe. I don't recall ever reading about someone using a 5 inch 4 jaw. At the moment I am still leaning for the 4 inch chucks as the best compromise.

I think I am going with a 4" 3 jaw made by Bison, I ahve heard there were some minor problems with the 5" with the jaws all teh way out possibly hitting the bed? rumors maybe but I don't want to gamble. just my two cents

I have the original 3" 3-jaw and a 4" 4-Jaw.
    The 4-jaw is hands down more useful but the 3-jaw is faster on the setup.

If you need to offset or remove and replace a part, you want the 4-jaw.

As far as size, the 4 inch can hold anything I can realistically turn on this lathe. IMHO the 5" is overkill unless you plan on getting a larger lathe in the future.

Aaron

5" chuck

Deviant,

I wanted to post this so you good get some facts on using the 5" chuck. Hear are some links for you to read:

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe...ck_5x3/5x3.htm
    http://groupyahoo.com/group/7x10minilathe/message/77084

The Mini-Lathe site also compares and reviews 3" and 4" chucks. Frank Hoose Jr. site is a wealth of information on the Mini-Lathe. Check it out.

I have made 4 benders that started out with 4-3/8 dia hardened shaft material. I also had to made bearing blocks for all three axis of my X3, and several rollers. I probably have in the nieghborhood of 300+ hours of use with the 5" - 4 jaw chuck. I have the Microlux lathe and it has not damaged it in any way, I have not checked but I do not think the jaw's at the farthest out position will hit the way's, as is reflected by the yahoo group message. I don't use it for everything, but it sure has been handy when I've needed it.

HTH

Carvejunky

Hi,

I just changed my HF 7x10 to a 4 inch, 4-jaw with backplate, from LMS about a month back. It's great and I believe a perfect fit for that size lathe. I initially looked at a 5 inch but am glad I did not go for the big is best theory. Once you learn to center your work in the 4-jaw, I doubt you will ever use your 3-jaw again.

The 5" chucks jaws will hit the ways before they come off of the scrolls. I typically wouldnt put anything of any substance in any chuck with the jaws very close to being fully open. If I was going to get another chuck It would be the Bison Combo chuck 4-jaw independant with a scroll feature for changing out parts of the same sizes. They are high priced though. Any chuck bigger than the 3" will indeed be an improvement. As far as the 5" there isnt all that much weight difference, it will however take longer to spool up and spin down. The biggest difference asides for capacity on my side is with 3" chucks I could kick the overload protection circuit and have to restart the lathe again. With the 5" acting as a flywheel it has almost completely stopped this problem. Just my 2 pennys though.

I am in the same situation currently, I have to decide and order either 4.3" Klopfer 4-jaw combination chuck or Bison 5" 4-jaw combination chuck. You seriously cant beat comfort and versatility of good combination chuck. 5" Bison seems to me bit too big but it is cheaper probably. If anyone knows any other manufacturers of good 4"-5" combination chucks, link would be helpful.
    550nm