586,398 active members*
3,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > DRO installed. Need to adjust steps per inch. Anyone know how?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: DRO installed. Need to adjust steps per inch. Anyone know how?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    There are much easier ways to check backlash and travel accuracy than to install a 3rd party DRO.

Mike
    Correct. But the machine is so inaccurate I can atleast use it to make accurate parts in "manual" mode through jogging through my parts. I can also frill accurate geometric hole patterns, which the machine cant do on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Another quote from SampDonkey : The one on mach 3? It doesn't represent reality. It can say anything depending on what values are put in or the condition of the ballscrews.

Correcting P4 ball-screw (as fitted to the Tormach) inaccuracy is getting down to the realms of a tenth of a thou. If you are down at this level then you need to look at many other mechanical issues before trying to improve things with a dro. In fact if you need a tenth then you need to move way, way upmarket from a Tormach. In any case a tenth of a thou (or even a thou) doesn't fit with the description of "my machine is acting funky so I fitted a dro".

I think SwampDonkey needs to give additional feedback.

Who out there is mapping their Tormach ballscrews because they need to?

Phil
    Ok. I bought the machine used with new ballscrews. It cant cut accurate parts. I called Tormach and spent thousands on new drivers, new mother board, new VFD, everything to bring it up to Series 3 standards. Still cuts inaccurate parts. I need to adjust the steps per inch to stand a chance of getting this thin accurate.

There are much easier ways to check backlash and travel accuracy than to install a 3rd party DRO.

Mike
    Its not backlash. But yes I could correct this with access to the steps/inch.

Quote Originally Posted by bhurts View Post
    If your using a dro with absolute positioning you should be able to adjust it for accurate readings.You can ignore all the posts above if you are just adding scales for Manuel use. From what I can tell correct me if I'm wrong this has nothing to do with mach 3 or cnc control at all? I can't download the Manuel for some reason but it should be in there somewhere.

Ben
    Well, MACH 3 is the CNC software controlling the machine. I'd like to be able to actually use it as a CNC mill since thats why ive been pouring money and man hours into fixing it. Everything has been replaced. It still cuts inaccurate parts. Its ruined some really important ones actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Are you sure you didn't program your part to be cut with a 3/16 end mill and actually do it with a 5/32.
    Yes, though jogging tells the story. I get substantially different numbers from the DRO and the readout in Mach3.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
    Yes, though jogging tells the story. I get substantially different numbers from the DRO and the readout in Mach3.
    Which tells you the steps/unit in Mach is set incorrectly. So why haven't you re-set it correctly?

Regards,
    Ray L.

I am surprised that SwampDonkey has remained so polite. Half the of those replying did not read carefully his original post or his subsequent answers. SwampDonkey is getting about 20% error in actual movement in at least one of the axes. It seems the error is in Mach3 since he is only able to machine correct dimensions by using his add-on DRO.

What he is asking for is how can he make the required changes in Mach3?

My suggestion is to uninstall and re-install Mach 3 using the appropriate release for his 1100 configuration.

Good luck Swampy.
    Bevin

Did you read my previous post?
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post1571878
    If you're talking about steps per inch then I presume that the values you provided were in inches - so I doubt that is a backlash problem.
    The Tormach Mach3 package disables all drive setting features in order to prevent as may people messing up as possible. If you have any doubts about these settings then by all means re-install the Tormach Mach3, but please don't play around with the settings unnecessarily.
    The ratio 0.14 : 0.176 is a near as makes no difference the same as 1600 : 2000. Your drives should be set to 2000 pulses/rotation. I suspect they're set to 1600.
    I checked the data sheet for your drive and unless I'm mistaken they do have a setting for 2000.
    Please check this out.
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Are you sure you didn't program your part to be cut with a 3/16 end mill and actually do it with a 5/32.
    There was no "part". I jogged a bit and looked for differences in the mach DRO vs the glass scales.

Did you try to tighten your stepper to ball screw couplers? < My Bet
    If that isn't the issue, then your Gibs are way too loose (doubt it) or way too tight.
    Are you using the "tormach controller" (pc) or your own?
    What about Tormach versions of Mach?

Watch this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM9RXRhgU18
    (sorry very early video, and crappy)

Now you can get into the settings of mach - Turn up "Look Ahead" to something like 200 lines, Turn down your Acceleration on your problem Axis while your in there.

"manual" milling with a tormach is silly, when you can just type in G1 X1.5 F15 in the MDI (or something similar) At any rate, I don't see how the Mach Dro could ever be off more than .005", so it's a "mechanical" issue more than likely.

It was very irresponsible of Brad to post his video because you clearly haven't reached the level you would need to debug anything else that you are very likely to mess up in the process. Install and use only the standard, locked version of mach3 as supplied by Tormach.

DO NOT CHANGE ANY OF THE SETTINGS AT ALL.

There is absolutely no need for you to change the Tormach configuration. Doing so will however prevent anyone from being able to help you in the future because they will have no idea where you're starting from.
    If you use the standard locked Tormach software, standard Tormach ballscrews, standard Tormach 3 phase stepper motors but non standard JMC 3m860 3 phase stepper drivers then you must check the switches on the drives first to make sure that they are correctly set for 2000 pulses/rotation.

If you play around with the configuration then you will be on your own because nobody will be able to help you.
    Step

Did I tell him to change anything that would screw anything up? Nope.

I must of missed that he is using different drivers - so *MY BAD*

Going off of Turbo saying you have different drivers, then that is ALL THE MORE REASON to use the unlocked version so you can better troubleshoot. Nothing like trying to troubleshoot with one hand tied behind your back (locked version)

Lets take a look at this picture... now get on your mach 3 and open this up....oh wait.. sorry you need the UNLOCKED VERSION to do this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MACH3MotorTuning.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	253914

In this totally secret locked version of Mach there are some settings you will/could need to change to suit your drivers requirements... I built my own CNC Machine before I had a Tormach, so know this...

In post #6 he implies that the machine has seen a hard life and is new to him.

Quote "Yeah this one was used in production from 07 to 2012. I have no idea how hard it was run in those years but I'd like to be able to determine if the screws need work (reballing most likely). The answers im getting seems to imply that there's no way to adjust the SPI on these machines.

So chances are somebody from it's passed life has been inside Mach3 and fiddled with things, probably the steps per rev. He could of course go into his current version and chance the steps per rev but what else may have been fiddled with. So the first step is to replace his current version of Mach3 with a clean copy of the current Tormach version.This will not necessarily solve his problem but will give him a sound basis for further evaluation. Until he has done this everything else is just a stab in the dark. Speculation on reballing screws etc is not even on the horizon.

Assuming your current Mach3 is a Tormach version and you wish to adjust the steps per rev you will need to request the access code from Tormach, it's much better, and just as easy, to reinstall a clean copy of Mach3. If your software is not a Tormach version then dump it and get the latest Tormach version.

It would have helpful if more information had been provided in the first post.

Regards
    Phil

In post #6 he said:

"I'd like to be able to determine if the screws need work (reballing most likely). "

In post #22 he said:

I bought the machine used with new ballscrews.

I think we may be on a wild goose chase here!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    So you want "Stock settings" for something that isn't "Stock"? That's like putting a turbo diesel engine in a car that previously had a gas engine, and leaving the stock ECU in the car...
    I can't find where the OP said it wasn't stock?

Phil

Hey Phil - when did you move to the UK? Thought you were in Norway...

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    I can't find where the OP said it wasn't stock?
    Here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post1543892
    Step

Hey Phil - when did you move to the UK? Thought you were in Norway...
    Hi Michael, I'm getting close to retirement so I moved back to the UK a year ago to be closer to family, while continuing to work in Norway on a commuting basis. I had a workshop built at the new house in the UK and moved my complete workshop back, oh and a couple of sticks of furniture also. I retire at the end of the year, ... probably.

It's kind of you to ask.

Best Regards
    Phil

Thanks ger21!

Phil - it's in a different thread, which I wasn't aware of at first.

Page 2 of 2 12