I found the forum while searching for CNC info. My dad started to buy parts to build a CNC plasma table, but never went further on it. It is time to get the project rolling again and I know it won't get done if I don't help out. I would use the machine as much as him, and I am better at the research and computer end of it than he is.

We have:
CNCRP nema 23 motors, carriages, Gecko control and powersupply, rack, clamps, 40/80 aluminum to build the table base, screw drive parts for z axis.
Next week, I will get my shipment of 30x60mm aluminum for the gantry, 15/30 for the z axis, R&P bracket kits (dad bought nema 34's, which we need to sell) the new version of the CNCRP gantry risers (old ones were flat and seemed less than ideal), proximity limit switches, additional carriages, and a few other items.

Since we already have a decent amount of 4080 extrusion we are going to see if we can make that work for the x axis (longest axis). It looks like we may need to shim the R&P arm 0.045"+ more than it already would be from the carriages. Different bolts for the lower bearings will allow those to clear. The 40/80 is about an 1/8" thicker and wider than the 1530 we should have. The rails for the x axis will be 2.5" cold rolled and the z will use two of those CR rails to make a 7" wide rail for the gantry. The table will be 4x8 feet.

Plasma will be our first use, but we want to run our 3.25hp porter cable router for wood and aluminum cutting as well. Mach 3 will run the table, but I still need to decide on CAM software. It looks like sheet cam might be best for plasma use, but I don't have any idea for router use. We want to be able to machine basic parts that we would normally try to run on our benchtop size harbor freight grade mill. Wood work would probably consist of making signs or decorations. This will include some 2.5d or 3d but I don't know which software is really needed for hobbyist/small business use.

Any input on which software to run or using a table for both plasma and router work?

The other item I need to figure out is a torch height control. It seems they run from $175-$1,000. The CandCNC DTHC IV looked like a good option. I have read that ethernet control is better than parallel, and this would work that way. I am not sure if I would still need the ethernet control from CNC router parts, so I did not order that one yet. I have an older desktop computer with a parallel port, but I would have to reload winxp or try using linux. XP would be my first choice and I would leave the computer without internet connection since XP is outdated. My dad's laptop and our desktops (brix mini computers I built) do not have parallel ports, but do have ethernet and win 8.1.

The plasma I have is a Miller 375 extreme. It is not CNC ready so I need to figure out exactly what I will need to make that work with our table. We may later upgrade to a bigger Hypertherm that is CNC ready. I think I recall reading that the height control from CandCNC also had add-ons to interface the plasma cutter. Has anyone used a non cnc plasma for their table, or do you have any useful links?

We should be able to mock up our x axis next week to see if the 40/80 will work, and then we can build a table from there. I still need to decide on how to build a slat table for plasma cutting. It sounds like a hybrid water/blower system is best. The table will be just inside the roll up door of a steel shed (double deep single garage size). We won't have full access to the 4' wide end of the table, unless we move it on wheels and level it before use for big sheets. There is 2 feet of wall, next to the roll up door that would obstruct the end of the table.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

SoCal, USA