586,104 active members*
3,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Question for Al or any one from BobCAD-CAM

Question for Al or any one from BobCAD-CAM

Al,

I own 'BobCAD-CAM for Solidworks V2.' I have been exploring its capabilities for the last week or so. I am a reasonably good CATIA driver and current on 'Advanced Surface Machining.'

My question:

Look at the image I attached and you will see I need to be able to use a stock which is not a simple extrusion. I need to be able to utilize a stock that is made of multiple pieces. I am NOT proficient in SolidWorks, but I am learning. How do I use this type of stock in BobCAD-CAM for Solidworks, V2?

Regards,
    Joe T.

Re: Question for Al or any one from BobCAD-CAM

Well,you need to draw your stock,then save as a .,STL
    Now when you do the stock wizard pick your .STL file.
    At least this works in V 26 Bobcad

Thank you! I will try that. I have a TRIAL version of V26 on my laptop. I will do that now and report back.

Regards,
    Joe T.

OK, the .stl worked. I have my stock.

Now, next question (please be patient): I can't get the part to load? I am going through the on-line HELP but still don't see how to overlay the stock and the part.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Joe T.

Never mind!! I figured it out!!

Thanks,
    Joe T.

OK, the .stl worked. I have my stock.

Now, next question (please be patient): I can't get the part to load? I am going through the on-line HELP but still don't see how to overlay the stock and the part.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Joe T.

OK, I brought in the part as an .stl file, also. Now when I select "Mill 3-Axis" and get the wizard, it will not let me select the geometry or boundary. I am using V26. What did I do wrong?

Regards,
    Joe T.

I used a .stp for the part. It sort of worked.

Man, the simulation "movement' is SLOW!!!!

Not impressed yet.

Joe T.

DO NOT bring your part in as an .STL
    You open your.bbcd file which has your part drawing in it (not.stl)
    To set up your Milling Stock (not your part) R Click on milling stock/stock wizard/check .STL/next browse to where you have the file and select it

On edit,you open your solidworks file,not .bbcd,,,,sorry forgot which software you using,,,but I believe you get the idea ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails STOCK TYPE.JPG   browse.JPG  

I am using a V26 TRIAL version on my laptop. I do not have SolidWorks on my laptop.

Tomorrow, I will be at the shop where I have SolidWorks and BobCAD-CAM for SolidWorks V2.

Using the V26 Trial version, I managed to get the stock in via .stl. I finally tried using the .stp to bring in the part (V 26), and that seemed to work. But, when I started the milling wizard the software did not seem to 'recognize' the model geometry or boundary. After screwing around with the model and the wizard, I finally got the software to pick up some of the geometry (not all, just some - it would not select the WHOLE part), but it never seemed to 'select' a boundary. I got the software to mill a small portion of the part, but not much.

I will try tomorrow at the shop using my V2 (SW). I will post my progress tomorrow evening.

Thanks for your patience.

Joe T.

Got to send you here Depoalo - YouTube and and Documents & Manuals | Software documentation BobCAD-CAM | BobCAD-CAM for some good video's.A lot of the video's for V 25,pertain to .V26.

I would think V 27 would be the trial version ??

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T View Post
    I used a .stp for the part. It sort of worked.

Man, the simulation "movement' is SLOW!!!!

Not impressed yet.

Joe T.
    The simulation is slow because you're on a laptop. That and the similation only uses one core while inside of Bobcad as far as I can tell. If you want a more streamlined simulation for smoother playback, and you have a multicore (2 real cores or more not counting hyperthreading), save the simulation as a "presentation" and run the presentation .exe file. This brings the simulation into a self contained executable, which will use more of your system resources than the simulation can within Bobcad. On my workstation desktop (3.7ghz 4 actual core LGA 2011, 16gb of quadchannel RAM and a higher end video card), I can run the simulation inside of Bobcad smoothly without issue, and can run it at about 4x-8x speed smoothly as well as long as the accuracy level is moderate. If I create a presentation file, I can run the simulation in it's own container with smooth motion (no stalling/skipping) at perhaps 16x speed while cranking the accuracy up to the highest setting. I also do this with the full machine simulation where I've modeled it down to the chrome handles. Frankly, most people are more than a little impressed when they see it on my desktop. With the number of calculations necessary to create this visual, and the fact that it's a dynamic simulation where you can rotate or zoom in/out on the machine in real time, it shouldn't be surprising that you need some juice to make it go.

OK, I am at the shop using BobCAD-CAM for Solidworks. More problems - - - -

1.) I can load a part or "stock", but not both. When I load the part into solidworks, no problem. But, when I launch BCC, and I try to load the stock, I get the usual screen but no method to load an existing stock. Using V26 TRIAL I could at least load part and stock.

2.) I create a coordinate system per the video tutorial, but it doesn't save the system and it does not let me rename it!!!!

I am very frustrated. I have watched all of the tutorial videos that were purchased for this product. Any suggestions?

Regards,
    Joe T.