586,728 active members*
3,121 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Needing a little extra X axis travel in bench machine
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Needing a little extra X axis travel in bench machine

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    If you do wind up getting the Sherline, you could extend the capacity of it by adding a second high speed spindle to the side of the head itself rather than rails. You could make identical mounts for each side of the head. Swap out the spindle to the other side for the second op. That would leave the parts mounted to the table. That would gain you a few extra inches that you might need. Making those mounts could be one of the Sherliine's first jobs.

Now finding a US made high speed spindle might pose a problem. Not all FOREIGN tools are poorly made. Europe, Mexico, Japan, Taiwan, Brazil all produce some good quality tools. Great in some cases. I'm reffering to power tools mainly. Some are US owned, but made elsewhere. Germany produces some of the best power tools made today. Japan used to, but not as much IMO.
    This one is designed in Germany, but likely produced in China or Taiwan. Proxxon 28483 High Speed Rotary Grinder Motor Collet 220volt CNC Spindle Drill | eBay
    Still a step above a Dremel IMO.
    I like that idea with the second spindle on the Z axis. The one place I could possible see an issue coming into play is the extra torque in that direction when drilling. Though it could be a non issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    If you do wind up getting the Sherline, you could extend the capacity of it by adding a second high speed spindle to the side of the head itself rather than rails. You could make identical mounts for each side of the head. Swap out the spindle to the other side for the second op. That would leave the parts mounted to the table. That would gain you a few extra inches that you might need. Making those mounts could be one of the Sherliine's first jobs.

Now finding a US made high speed spindle might pose a problem. Not all FOREIGN tools are poorly made. Europe, Mexico, Japan, Taiwan, Brazil all produce some good quality tools. Great in some cases. I'm reffering to power tools mainly. Some are US owned, but made elsewhere. Germany produces some of the best power tools made today. Japan used to, but not as much IMO.
    This one is designed in Germany, but likely produced in China or Taiwan. Proxxon 28483 High Speed Rotary Grinder Motor Collet 220volt CNC Spindle Drill | eBay
    Still a step above a Dremel IMO.
    I like that idea with the second spindle on the Z axis. The one place I could possible see an issue coming into play is the extra torque in that direction when drilling. Though it could be a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvang View Post
    I have tools that are 100% US made, along with tools where the company's entire product line is 100% US sourced, including my metatarsal work boots.
    I just had a hilarious picture pop into my head of a guy standing naked except for his workboots, working on his Sherline.

[QUOTE=109jb;1568202]It is admirable that you want to stick with a USA made mill, however the problem is your specifications. You asked about a benchtop mill with bigger travel than the sherline, USA made, and new. As far as I know, that animal doesn't exist. That right there could be why people keep steering you toward the Chinese mills.

The Taig mill is made in Arizona, and it has travels that are a little more than the Sherline's. I also sell the ACT DMC III, which is made in California, and has more Y travel than the Taig, plus ballscrews and profile rails. So these mills do exist.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=109jb;1568202]It is admirable that you want to stick with a USA made mill, however the problem is your specifications. You asked about a benchtop mill with bigger travel than the sherline, USA made, and new. As far as I know, that animal doesn't exist. That right there could be why people keep steering you toward the Chinese mills.

The Taig mill is made in Arizona, and it has travels that are a little more than the Sherline's. I also sell the ACT DMC III, which is made in California, and has more Y travel than the Taig, plus ballscrews and profile rails. So these mills do exist.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I kind of block out the taig, sherline, etc. mils because I regard them as too light duty for pretty much anything. Before anyone goes and blasts me, I have had opportunity to use a Taig that a friend owns and my opinion is based on that experience and my experiences having worked as a machinist for many years on everything from benchtop mills to 15hp VMC's. The other drawbacks of these machines is that most only have a collet style spindle which to me is too limiting. This is purely my own opinion, but basically I don't consider anything that I can pick up with one hand to be a "real" milling machine.

One thing to consider about the Sherline, is the electronics & motors are all imported. If I remember correctly the main motor is also from China.
    So yes it is "Made in America" but is it really.

I'm wondering why you are not looking at building/buying a small CNC router, you can get about a 24" x 24" x 6" work envelope for about the same investment.

Page 2 of 2 12