586,129 active members*
2,922 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SolidCAM for SolidWorks and SolidCAM for Inventor > Help please. Odd behaviour in machine simulation

Help please. Odd behaviour in machine simulation

Hi everyone,
    I've run into a little trouble and it's probably something simple but I can't work it out.

I've been using SolidCAM for some time for a small workshop lathe that we used for precise turning. It's a simple 2 axis machine, nothing complex. I have been trying to get the machine simulation working becuase we are often making very small parts near the collet, so being able to check for collisions would be helpful.

The g code produced is correct, the turning and solidverify simulations are correct but the machine simulation (see attached image) has done some odd things:
    • The stock should be a small cylinder co-axial with the spindle (as is shown in other simulation modes) but for some reason it has come out as a torus perpendicular to the spindle. This shape bears no resemblence to anything in the CAD as far as I can see.
    • The tool follows the correct path, but it is offset hugely.

I imagine that I've got an axis set up wrong somewhere but I can't find anything wrong. Anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Re: Help please. Odd behaviour in machine simulation

What version of SolidCAM are you using? This is important as prior to SC2014 the machine simulation info was split across two files, the VMID and the PRP. From SC2014 onward, everything is defined in the VMID and therefore it should be easier to configure.
    My guess would be that it is the ordering of the axes that needs looking at. Have you got the 5 axis programming manual? That gives instructions on how to build machines in MachSim and I found it most helpful.