586,655 active members*
3,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Help ID these drivers and choose please...

Help ID these drivers and choose please...

Hello everyone,
    I'm a complete newbie here, trying to learn a bit and help my brother out at the same time. He is well versed in running CNC equipment, but not in the workings of the computer/driver/motor/working electronics end of things. He's now ready to do a home CNC build project, and has a few parts salvaged from scrapped equipment.
    First, he's got some Superior Slo-Syn Nema 34 motors which vary from 200 oz in to 450 oz in. The machine these came from was a numerically controlled Boyar-Schultz grinder, and the driver cards are made by Design Animation. He's got a card for each motor, and some other 'main board' controller that the driver cards connected to.
    Design Animation part numbers on the boards are
    150036 rev8
    450022-D
    The main board is # 150033 rev D.
    We're trying to find info on Design Animation and these boards; my searches turn up nothing. Does anyone know if they are useable for a home CNC project? (We're considering Mach for control software). If not I suppose Geckos would be the answer?
    Secondly, he's got some Berger Lahr motors and boards. The motors are
    #URDM 5913/50 LNI. I see from a search they are 5 phase steppers. He's got boards that go with these too, Berger #D550.01. Same questions on these boards, I can't find any info. I believe these were from an IR waterjet.
    We're looking for input on which way to go for the first home cnc build. Any comments based on what we've got?
    Thanks!
    -Gerry

Can you place some pictures of the boards?
    Maybe by knowing the chipset used for the drivers can help you any further.
    I have some 5 phase driverboards laying around, from some I know how to control them so maybe there is a similarity.

AbSat

more info...

I have some photos, but they don't show a lot without removing the heat sink. I did get a board manual, and I'm trying to attach the wiring info too. Does anyone know if this board can be used? Maybe with some interface between the parallel port and the board? I see that there are two separate terminals for pulse, direction, and gate.
    Thanks! -Gerry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo0001.jpg   photo0003.jpg   wiring.jpg  

I think with that manual it must be possible to connect the driver to the parallel port. It looks as if the inputs or opto isolated, or there in the manual some specs on the inputs, volts and currents ?
    If not you could try to check the wiring from the connector to the input IC's on the PCB and try to find out the input circuit and what IC's there are used .
    When you know what voltage is appropriate, connect the puls-, direction- and gate - to ground and apply that voltage to the gate + and with a toggle switch to direction + and with a push button to the puls +.
    Than there is a big chance that after switching on the motor voltage the motor can be stepped with the push button and the direction can be controlled with the toggle switch.
    If not you have to play with the PWM inputs. First connect the normal closed inputs and see what’s happening. Maybe you have to connect a resistor between the 12 a c points to set the motor current. But hopefully there is some info about these connections in the manual.
    If this drivers can be controlled directly from the parallel port or need some interface is depending on the voltage and current needed.
    But with a simple buffered breakout board it will be possible I think.

AbSat.