586,096 active members*
3,756 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Intermittent faults with my G540 controller

Intermittent faults with my G540 controller

I have had my home built CNC machine in operation for over a year and from day one, I have had issues with my machine and it is almost NEVER the same issue.

I get all of these issues at different times during cutting process and it happens nearly every time I cut:

• Cutting along during a cut where the torch is on and it stops completely. No estop, no faults on the Gecko, no faults on the plasm fa cutter, no faults in Mach - just stops.
    • Cutting along during a cut where the torch is on and the Gecko faults - red LED lit on back, Mach says E-Stop triggered.
    • Cutting along during a cut where the torch is on and the torch stops - fault at plasma cutter, but machine still runs around the contour like it is cutting. Stops next time torch is due to fire because of no Torch OK signal to controller.

Here are my specifics: I bought my G540, 3.81oz Nema 23 Stepper Motors and 48vDC Power Supply from Kelnig. I have candcnc LCTHC torch height control. Hypertherm 1250 plasma cutter with machine torch. Power supply has internal cooling fan, but I also installed a separate fan on the box. to install the torch height control, I bought the G540 interface card to go with it and it is plugged directly into the G540 per the CandCNC Instructions. I have ferrite chokes on all cables, limit switches. I have Gantry, control box, plasma cuttter, computer case and machine base all grounded to an 8' long - 5/8" ground rod drove in the ground right beside machine. All ground wires are #8 solid.

Dell computer with Windows XP (service pack 3), Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 gig of ram. This computer is not connected to internet, all updates are disabled and only Mach 3, Sheetcam and Autocad are essential programs installed.

Every time i power up the controller box the G540 faults red LED. I either have to cycle switch numerous times or unplug one motor from back of controller and fire it up without fault. In fact, I have started pulling a motor output every time I power up.

Please help me - I am about to sell my whole computer, and electronics package and go buy all new. No way to run a business if I cannot count on my machine making a cut correctly without fault.

Re: Intermittent faults with my G540 controller

Quote Originally Posted by Nacs Fab View Post
    I have had my home built CNC machine in operation for over a year and from day one, I have had issues with my machine and it is almost NEVER the same issue.

I get all of these issues at different times during cutting process and it happens nearly every time I cut:

• Cutting along during a cut where the torch is on and it stops completely. No estop, no faults on the Gecko, no faults on the plasm fa cutter, no faults in Mach - just stops.
    • Cutting along during a cut where the torch is on and the Gecko faults - red LED lit on back, Mach says E-Stop triggered.
    • Cutting along during a cut where the torch is on and the torch stops - fault at plasma cutter, but machine still runs around the contour like it is cutting. Stops next time torch is due to fire because of no Torch OK signal to controller.

Here are my specifics: I bought my G540, 3.81oz Nema 23 Stepper Motors and 48vDC Power Supply from Kelnig. I have candcnc LCTHC torch height control. Hypertherm 1250 plasma cutter with machine torch. Power supply has internal cooling fan, but I also installed a separate fan on the box. to install the torch height control, I bought the G540 interface card to go with it and it is plugged directly into the G540 per the CandCNC Instructions. I have ferrite chokes on all cables, limit switches. I have Gantry, control box, plasma cuttter, computer case and machine base all grounded to an 8' long - 5/8" ground rod drove in the ground right beside machine. All ground wires are #8 solid.

Dell computer with Windows XP (service pack 3), Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 gig of ram. This computer is not connected to internet, all updates are disabled and only Mach 3, Sheetcam and Autocad are essential programs installed.

Every time i power up the controller box the G540 faults red LED. I either have to cycle switch numerous times or unplug one motor from back of controller and fire it up without fault. In fact, I have started pulling a motor output every time I power up.

Please help me - I am about to sell my whole computer, and electronics package and go buy all new. No way to run a business if I cannot count on my machine making a cut correctly without fault.
    I'm a little lost on your post. Lets take a moment, and break your post up in sections to identify possible issues with your setup. First, and foremost lets look at the Gecko producing a red light fault, that goes away after you unplug a motor or cycle a switch (Please specify which switch E-stop or on/off) If your encountering this I would look at your wiring with the motors first. Make sure they are all connected securely. Once that's done if your problem still continues I would start looking at the wiring of the motors all the way to the Gecko's DB9s. Changing motor cables can have a huge difference if after you perform your inspection, and can't identify an issue. Remember a red fault light on the Gecko is a sign something isn't correct. Don't ignore the issue. If you built the system, part of building it is troubleshooting every area of it. Isolate the problem to the best of your ability, and eliminate each variable one by one till you notice a change be it positive or negative. Write it down for comparison later.

The next area to review is the computer your using to run your system. The system is at best the bare minimum to run Mach3. I wouldn't recommend using less than a dual core system with at least 2gb of memory to have Mach3 perform as reliable as it should. A dual core system is cheap enough now that anyone can afford one if sourced correctly online.

The next thing we should talk about is the list of random problems you encounter with the system. Random problems should have been eliminated way before you ever used the machine in a professional capacity (this is my opinion, but one to really think about)

The easiest way to get rid of what sounds more, and more like electrical problems is to rebuild the controller portion of the system tackling each section carefully. The Gecko is a fully integrated controller solution, so it saves you the headache of individual drive, and breakout board issues. I would start looking at the add in card you mentioned, and the torch height control. I would also recommend you look at your Mach3 setup to make sure everything is correlated to your hardware correctly.

In the end my recommendation is to see if you can find someone knowledgeable in your area to help you setup your system. I've done many consulting setups, and while they weren't free they save hours of time, and hair pulling. If your serious about using the machine to support your business then learning the entire animal from the electronics to mechanics will be required. Purchasing a new machine won't provide anymore knowledge about troubleshooting it as your having now with the one you built. Save your money till you at least can identify the actual cause of your systems issues.

I hope you figure out the issues with your system, and if your located near the Tampa Florida area I would be willing to help you iron out the system.

Goodluck

Vince
    items in eDealers Direct store on eBay!

Re: Intermittent faults with my G540 controller

I wanted to follow up and say I added a 3.0ghz machine with 2 Gig of Ram and Windows 7 and have it up and running without faults. Thanks for the info!