586,797 active members*
3,830 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Aspire > Finish toolpath issues

Finish toolpath issues

I am trying to cut a very detailed, 22 inch diameter relief. Finish pass is with .0625 ballnose.
    To output a single g-code file is too long.... I understand how to use vector boundaries to limit area to be cut.

Here lies my problem...
    I cannot find a way to prevent Aspire from splitting the path.... It starts in the middle (climb) of the vector limits, cuts outside half, then goes to the inner boundary, and cuts back to center.
    This creates fragile ridge in the middle, one that chips as the ridge gets more narrow.
    I want to start at inner boundary and spiral (step) to the outer boundary. I could live with the reverse order.

I am having to create a "false" boundary at double the distance, write the code, then spend 30 minutes deleting the second half..... I say 30 minutes but it can be more. The code file can have 300,000 lines of code AFTER deleting excess.
    I am starting to think I m not going to be able to use Aspire for large projects. It is not the length of the code file. It is the strategy....

(I am aware of using raster, but this runs X/Y, not circular)

Re: Finish toolpath issues

You could try posting on the Vectric Web site here: Vectric Forum ? Index page There are a lot of helpful people there.
    I am not sure why it would split the cutting area. Its really hard to tell without being able to look at the project and seeing the machining paths and vectors you used.

Mike

I thought it would be the obvious forum to start also... I am waiting for administrative approval.
    The entire file is too big to load here. I cleared everything except the area I am asking for help with.
    Image plus zipped crv3d file.

Attachment 250770
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have installed the 4.5 update. I was hopeful it would solve the issue. But it is not really a pocket path...
    Creating a pocket toolpath on slots or "donut" type pockets which are the same width as the tool would often cause undesirable results in previous versions of the software. This has now been updated to automatically recognize this situation and whenever possible try to machine these parts in a single pass making a more efficient toolpath with a better finish.