586,471 active members*
3,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Please help me how to clamp this odd-shaped part in a lathe?

Please help me how to clamp this odd-shaped part in a lathe?

Hello all, I'm looking ofr best ways to accomodate the attached part to a CNC lathe. The purpose is to finish the taper at the top of the part (from the attched picture, I'm referring to the long part shown, disregard the others). The part is a stem used in hip implants. I'm looking for a chucking system that will hold and maintain part in position so that roundness is as per print. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails implants_lg.jpg  

I posted this thread in the wrong section (woodworking), I noticed after it was already submitted, how can I change it to metalworking section. Tried to look for this option but did not see hoe to do it. Thanks.

A custom(rough 5C collet match the bigger end of the hip) collet to hold in the spindle and tailtock support.... the taper end.

In our shop we do something simular hip. We have many Mill/turn(Intergrex and Mori NT) so we do it almost everything in one shot. It saved us a lot of fixture and headace.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Just to stimulate your idea's. Here is a picture of a fixture for making pistonholes and turning the retaining ring grooves. The finished piston is just to give the idea. The turning is on an earlier stage. On the backside it has a chuck mounting. So it replaces the chuck. So something like that lets you clamp the part as in a mill, but the machining is turning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Support.JPG  

Thanks to NewTexas2006 and fkaCarel, appreciate your suggestions.

Well to me these look like they should be cast or forged and then polished??