586,500 active members*
1,890 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Stand alone controller driver

Stand alone controller driver

Hello
    I have application where I need to control and drive a stepper motor. This is for a repeating indexing operation using a stored program that would be initiated
    by a PLC. I don't need a cnc system such as a PC with Mach3 controlling a driver and stepper. What I am looking for is a stand alone
    Unit that can be programmed by a lap top and then disconnected and placed in service. I was waiting for Gecko 215 drive to come out.
    Unfortunately I am running out of time.
    Anyone have any product recommendation ?

Re: Stand alone controller driver

johnd

Dmm have a simple 4 Axes stand alone indexer, can be programmed by a computer then unplugged, or by a SD card, it's not on there web site, send them an email, they had it at the IMTS show running 4 of there servo motors, the price was good also
    Mactec54

Anything useful in this rather lengthy thread about a rotary table indexer? It's not a ready to buy and install device but it might provide some ideas.

Hi,

stand alone motion controllers exist but I don't know names and prices.

However I'd consider 2 alternatives:

The PLC itself - if it is just an indexing task you should be able to do this with the PLC and a regular stepper drive alone.
    If speed is not an issue it just boils down to a timer generating a fixed number of step pulses and an output to control direction.
    If speed is an issue you'd also need to program a ramp - a bit more work but still no big deal.

Stand alone automation stuff is usually expensive - I'd also reconsider a regular computer - they are cheap, especially if you also use e.g. LinuxCNC.

Christian
    My CAM Software and CNC Controller: www.estlcam.com

Hello
    Dont know for stepper drives...
    But for other see bosch/rexroth (before it was indramat) ecodrive series (3.1) or ecodrive cs ( i think that basic model of ecodrive cs is enough for ur project)... Also u can find many others have that kind of intelegent drives / motors (samsung, mitsubishi, parker ) There u can define in drive to be an indexing axis (make scaling parameters of whole mechanism with backslash compensation ) that u can control via inputs (many many options ) and get output done signal.. (Even some have integrated plc in them so u can make simple logic axis motion via inputs ) It may be expensive but it is very precise... U can even get them in position control and define pulses per revolution so they can be used like steppers but with much much more precision and power...

Teknic Clearpath MC. Very cost effective too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is the sort of thing you can do with the Linistepper, but only if you are willing / able to code in C or ASM. For example, some people have modified the Linistepper to track stars.
    Stepper Motors
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

johnd

Here is a video of the Dmm stand a lone Indexer Board, it can do up to 4 axes, simple text programing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMim...Jko1jCpoUj6f4Q
    Mactec54

Check out the Cubloc.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)