So I've been designing a CNC mill for the last month and a half. The current design is Version 5, and I have about 60 hours total invested in this whole project. I plan on using Misumi aluminum extrusion to build a basic frame, which will have standoffs bolted to it that I will mount Misumi linear guides on. I will use Automation Technologies ballscrews and close-loop hybrid stepper motors for linear motion. The entire frame, everything besides the motors, ballscrews, and linear guides, will be casted into epoxy granite for rigidity. I am currently working on a mixture that I believe will be strong enough. I will be using a 2.2kW spindle from Automation Technologies. The estimated travels will be 24" in the X (minus the width of the table), 10" in the Y, 8" in the Z with about 6" in spindle adjustment for a total of 14" in the Z (in case I use a drill chuck or something). This will be used for mostly aluminum cutting, as well as wood and plastic. Rough estimated calculations suggest I should be able to handle steel, but currently I don't hardly machine any steel at all so this mill was designed to handle aluminum (with a factor of safety of course).

My future goals include adding a 4th and 5th axis, but I am waiting to finish testing with the epoxy granite to see what my total cost is. I have a $4000 budget planned for this project, and I am estimating roughly $3200 on it so far, not including the 4th and 5th axis. Again, I have to wait and see how much the entire epoxy granite will cost before I even start designing the 4th and 5th axis. I have MasterCam available, and will soon have the full 5 axis license, so it would be nice to have the full 5 axis machine, but time will tell.

My SolidWorks model is about 98% complete, I have to finish up some ballnut mounts and do some more editing of the epoxy granite, but I modeled every single nut, bolt and washer; this is by far the most expensive project I've taken on and I don't want any surprises when building.

Next on my to-do list is obviously to finish the epoxy granite testing, and then I will be making a huge PDF file that has all of the blueprints for the parts I need to machine, as well as rough dimensions for the parts I will buy, a complete price breakdown (hopefully when I actually purchase parts I won't be off of my estimate by more than $50 or so), a machining set up sheet so I have it planned out how I will machine every part that needs machining, and most importantly a planned out step-by-step assembly guide. Again, I don't want any surprises during assembly (besides the mistakes I'm bound to make while assembling...).

I will update this thread as often as possible. I have some pictures of my model to start off. My end-of-the-line pipe dream is to hopefully be able to offer local 5-axis machining to make a little side cash, and I am considering the possibility of selling the PDF file I am making (depending on how well the mill works, of course.)

I am open to constructive criticism, and I am willing to provide any information if someone is curious. Here's to an exciting start to an ambitious project!
Attachment 250254
Attachment 250256
Attachment 250258