586,102 active members*
2,721 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Video's of "first part" from manual

Here are some videos of the test part they have you run in the manual.

Tool 1

Tool 2

Re: Video's of "first part" from manual

Sweet!
    I know this is standard on CNC lathes, but I love how much the spindle changes speed as the tool moves in.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    I love how much the spindle changes speed as the tool moves in.
    You buy the right manual lathe and it will do that too (CSS). About $13k.

Compunerdy- definitely looks like this thing needs a full enclosure. How much coolant splash did you get outside the drip trays? How close was the final part diameter to what you programmed?

A full enclosure would definitely be nice but it does not splash out that bad. The only thing I measured was the OD and it was spot on.

Thanks for posting the videos. That program sure parts off with "determination"! I'm far more tentative with my manual mill.

Are you using Tormach's toolholders and if so, what do you think of them and the inserts?

Mike

Yes I am using Tormach's tooling. So far they seem fine but take that with a grain of salt as I am not a lathe super user or anything (yet).

Part of the reason I asked is that I was a little surprised that Tormach is selling CXA toolposts and toolholders and 3/4-in lathe tooling for the lathe. That's probably not an issue for OD turning, but a lot of the boring I do in my manual lathe needs much finer tooling that are better suited to BXA or even AXA holders.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    a lot of the boring I do in my manual lathe needs much finer tooling that are better suited to BXA or even AXA holders.
    I have successfully used 1/4" boring bars and 3/8" internal thread tools in a CXA holder on a manual lathe. It requires longer set screws to hold the tool, but I didn't notice any problems.

The good of CXA is tooling availability for cheap on ebay is much better for the size of inserts you put in 3/4" holders, and the tools are more rigid.

But you do have an alternative: build your own custom QCTP riser block; the distance from the cross-slide surface to the centerline is 3.155". This means that a AXA tool post requires a 1.905" thick riser block (3.155-1.25"), a BXA tool post requires 1.843" (3.155-1.312), and a CXA tool post requires 1.530" (3.155-1.625). I used the "Optimum Center Height" from the Dorian catalog, page 32.

http://www.doriantool.com/wp-content...es_catalog.pdf

I expect it to be simple to make the riser block, just mill the flat plate to the right thickness, and drill/tap 4 mounting holes and drill/tap one position hole for mounting the QCTP in.

I suspect that I would make a riser plate for BXA, since that works with what I already have.

Compunerdy, can you tell us the thickness of the Tormach QCTP riser block?

The block is 1.45" tall.

I have successfully used 1/4" boring bars and 3/8" internal thread tools in a CXA holder on a manual lathe. It requires longer set screws to hold the tool, but I didn't notice any problems.
    Thanks - that's good to know.

I suspect that I would make a riser plate for BXA, since that works with what I already have.
    I've been thinking about that as well since I happen to have a brand new Aloris BXA-sized toolpost. Tormach also suggested making a custom riser block when I mentioned my BXA TP during the lathe demo.

Is there anything to be lost, aside from rigidity, by going with BXA instead of CXA?

Mike

BXA limits you to 5/8" tool shank. 3/4" is more of a standard size, and readily available cheaper on ebay (which you can hold in a CXA size holder).

Larger tool shank = more rigidity (obvious).

That being said, the inserts sized for 5/8" tool holders tend to be cheaper (from non-ebay sources). You lose a bit in maximum DOC with the 332/331 size insert, but there is no way on this class of machine you will ever be running against those limits. 332 gives you 0.236" DOC in WNMG format vs. 432 giving you a 0.315" DOC (limited by the length of the cutting edge, the smaller the insert, the smaller the cutting size... but you will run out of horsepower on this machine before you get that deep).

For compatibility, most 13-14" homeshop style manual lathes take a maximum size QCTP of BXA size (it is limited by compound slid-to-spindle-centerline height). Because of that, I have a bunch of 5/8" tool holders (and 332/331 inserts). Since I am already tooled up for BXA sizes, I will stick to it if given the choice. Cutting a custom riser block would be an easy solution.

BXA QCTP and holders are cheaper for BXA sizes (by 20-30%). Here are some examples of price difference for Dorian (a good USA name brand, definitely worth getting a Dorian or Aloris over a Chinese import... it is important, especially with cmc application, to have a precise, repeatable mounting solution... both are rated to less than 0.0002 variation when swapping tool holders).

Grizzly.com® -- Online Catalog
    QCTP: $380 vs $525
    Turning toolholder: $60 vs. $82

OK, sounds like BXA is a better match, especially since I already have an Aloris BXA toolpost and a pile of BXA toolholders, though almost all of those are Asian import. The toolholders could be gradually replaced with Dorian or other quality toolholders, though.

Thanks for the link to Grizzly - I wasn't aware that they sold Dorian or Aloris products.

Mike

Grizzly is slowly adding to their metalworking offerings... which is good, since Enco seems to be jacking up their prices. Nice to have another decent retailer. They are still hit and miss on cutting tools, but than Enco doesn't have a wide range either.

Awesome, keep'em coming !!! Damn maybe the laser cutter will have to wait

I have a laser cutter as well.. good investment.

Looking for advice:

I have a cnc router, I use it for carving, engraving, wood specially MDF. Now I am looking for CNC Laser for that very purpose. I am not much satisify with router when it comes a cross thin patters. Would it be worth for me to invest in cnc laser. pls advice

regards
    Husain

I do not use my laser for wood much but when I have done some it does very fine details very nice.

Ended up with a cnc laser and thinking about picking up the lathe too. The laser is awesome and have used it to engrave & cut wood pieces. Under a 45x scope the detail is extremely fine and very happy with the purchase. Husain here's a few shots of the laser cutting felt & bamboo.

- - - Updated - - -

Brand of the cnc laser?

You'll are not helping my tool addiction...
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Its a Epilog.. I have one from Full Spectrum Laser which I am very happy with.

Page 1 of 2 12