586,096 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SC9 machine definition for SBL 15

Looks like Tormach or Sprut has developed a machine definition for the SBL 15 lathe in SprutCAM 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cbv...gZzFrfOBxVuUIg

I ordered the upgrade to SC9 today and am looking forward to checking out how well it works with the SBL 15 lathe, especially for the turret and gang tool.

Mike

Re: SC9 machine definition for SBL 15

Doesn't the SBL take Fanuc code?

Sprutcam has what they call machine definitions. They are created with a machine definition program. "my sput has no such program btw"
    There is one for a number of machines like the pcnc1100 and it displays the machine, your part and the tool paths, fixtures....as shown in my many cam pictures.
    There is now one for the sbl15 with all the different tool setups. This helps people like me get a clear and complete view of what is going on.
    The g-code generated is as you mentioned part of a post processor written for that machine. whatever it is. Sprut could do the job without the machine definition using a generic or compatible lathe definition you just don't get to see all the holders, chucks, tailstock and other parts of machine as you plan your operations.

I also ordered upgrade. It works so well for me that I look forward to the new version with sbl support and some of the other features.
    md

MD - will you be returning your SC7 (or SC8) HASP? Extra charges apply for the SC8 upgrade if it's HASP is not returned. I'm a little concerned about losing SC8 use unless SC9 really is a lot better.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    MD - will you be returning your SC7 (or SC8) HASP? Extra charges apply for the SC8 upgrade if it's HASP is not returned. I'm a little concerned about losing SC8 use unless SC9 really is a lot better.

Mike
    Mike,
    The way I read it, I get 30 days to return key or the cost goes to full price. I decided to move on and not look back. The main problem Im worried about is moving tool files, templates and nearly 200 multi sided parts if I want to edit and change them. I was also told to expect complex multisided parts to not check out on run. If this is the case it is a downgrade not an upgrade! Anyway I figured I could get it all performing correctly "I hope" having few problems with the version I was using and hoping to extend the experience. From what I read there is not that much difference in the program design, some hsm tool paths and feature base drill operations that apply to my mill. I do plan to add a sbl15 and want to have this ready and running with setups and templates before that tool hits my shop floor. This is my main reason for keeping current and upgrading.
    md

Well if it is like the SC7 to SC8 upgrade, we might be in good shape. I never had reason to fall back to SC7 once SC8 was installed.

I've been using the trial and it looks like my customized SC8 tool library is still usable in SC9. AIR, I just needed to copy the custom tool file (*.CSV) from the SC8 folder to the corresponding SC9 folder and load it into an open session of SC9. I also figured out how to change the default tool position when SC starts up to something more reasonable than -7.874, 6, 16.25. That's been bugging me for quite a while. Next on the list is figuring out how to change the default rapids to values more reasonable than 394 ipm.

I'm in the same boat as you - expecting to buy an SBL 15 and wanting to be ready to go out of the gate.

Mike

Mike,
    I spent a few hours with sprut9 and sbl15 machine definition. I had no problem setting up a full set of operations to make a part.
    If the code and operations work as good as they simulate then this will turn out to be a great tool combo.

Attachment 256108

I loaded a iges file for a column on a beam engine and had a near finished part in a couple hours of messing around.
    I have never done a set of lathe operations from start with sprtucam , Only looked and modified a few of their examples on version 8 months ago
    Still a few problems with release and updates they need to sort out. I just locked it out for now and going on with use.
    md