586,469 active members*
2,922 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Red face Flat Bottom Bore's

WHATS THE BEST WAY OR SOME GOOD WAYS OF GETTING A FLAT BOTTOM IN A BLIND BORE.
    I SOMETIMES USE A END MILL AND PLUNGE THE DRILL POINT OUT BUT THIS IS SLOW GOTTA BE A BETTER WAY.
    ALSO HAVE USED BORING BAR TO CUT DRILL ANGLE OUT BUT THIS IS SLOW AND NOT VERY FORGIVING MORE LIKELY FOR MISTAKES.
    ANY TIPS OR ADVICE IM ALL EARS.

If an endmill will reach, and there is room to move it around, I prefer to use circular interpolation in the cnc mill. I've just been doing some work like that with holes about 1.77" ID with an extra length Iscar helimill and the inserts specifically made for aluminum (I forget the prefix) but they do a beautiful job.

It would sure be nice to have a means to do such an operation with live tooling on the lathe, but lacking that, it is a seperate setup in the mill to do it.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I thought when I saw this thread, you where looking for a FAT BOTTOM BORE. So I will not post my ex-wife phone #
    If you can get an insert cutter in they tend to hold up better for this with a faster feed rate.
    But if not like Hu said endmill

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I thought when I saw this thread, you where looking for a FAT BOTTOM BORE. So I will not post my ex-wife phone #
    If you can get an insert cutter in they tend to hold up better for this with a faster feed rate.
    But if not like Hu said endmill
    Use a 4 Flute special ground drill. Works everytime If this isn't an option for you go with an Insert Indexable End Mill like Hu and Mike suggest. There are only so many ways to skin an X-Wife Posting her phone number on a public forum is one of them. You can also give her # to BobCAD Mike
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

alrighty i was thinking indexable. any ideas or links? i use valinite tooling.
    but would consider other brands.
    toby,
    these drills do they cost alot?
    do they hold up?

would like to go behind my spade bit and clean the bottom flat with same type speed as the spade bit.
    looks stupid, spade bit drills the hole in seconds and then u got this long end-mill creeping in ever so slow taking more then double the time that it did to drill it.

i think the indexable is the best idea thus far.
    oh ya i cant turn spindle and feed mill at same time.
    so i cant interp the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by TURN ME View Post
    alrighty i was thinking indexable. any ideas or links? i use valinite tooling.
    but would consider other brands.
    toby,
    these drills do they cost alot?
    do they hold up?

would like to go behind my spade bit and clean the bottom flat with same type speed as the spade bit.
    looks stupid, spade bit drills the hole in seconds and then u got this long end-mill creeping in ever so slow taking more then double the time that it did to drill it.

i think the indexable is the best idea thus far.
    oh ya i cant turn spindle and feed mill at same time.
    so i cant interp the hole.

You may also be able to use an Indexable Drill and Indexable Insert End Mill like a Turbo Mill or Nano Turbo Mill from Seco Carboloy. www.carboloy.com

This is the fastest most efficient way and the most expensive. If it's worth it for the parts your making get them.

BTW: What are you machining Aluminum, Mild Steel, Hard Steel, Exotic Material, or Titanium? This info would help a bit. Also what type of Machine are you using a Mill, Lathe, CNC or a Manual?

Cheers
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    You may also be able to use an Indexable Drill and Indexable Insert End Mill like a Turbo Mill or Nano Turbo Mill from Seco Carboloy. www.carboloy.com

This is the fastest most efficient way and the most expensive. If it's worth it for the parts your making get them.

BTW: What are you machining Aluminum, Mild Steel, Hard Steel, Exotic Material, or Titanium? This info would help a bit. Also what type of Machine are you using a Mill, Lathe, CNC or a Manual?

Cheers

using cnc lathe machining mainly Aluminum, Mild Steel, Hard Steel, and delrin
    would like it to be a universal tool for all the above.
    or at least for mild to hard steel. -

In this case use an Indexable Insert Drill and clean the bottom with a Special Ground Boring Bar. Also if the hole is extremely deep I suggest truing the outside and sending out for Gun Drilling. Gun Drilling can be done within .001 depth, diameter, and perpendicularity to the true face and outside diameter. Then you will have to make an Arbor to finish the rest of the work.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

In this case use an Indexable Insert Drill and clean the bottom with a Special Ground Boring Bar. Also if the hole is extremely deep I suggest truing the outside and sending out for Gun Drilling. Gun Drilling can be done within .001 depth, diameter, and perpendicularity to the true face and outside diameter. Then you will have to make an Arbor to finish the rest of the work in the Lathe.

Bouble Post..........................Weird............... ...............
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Wink

Flat Bottom Bores they make the machining world go round.

These were the original lyrics by the legendary band "Queen" before all of the inevitable edits and revisions that occur during the process of compiling a hit record. You can hear the bastardized final version, "Fat Bottomed Girls", on their 1978 album "Jazz".
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay View Post
    Flat Bottom Bores they make the machining world go round.

These were the original lyrics by the legendary band "Queen" before all of the inevitable edits and revisions that occur during the process of compiling a hit record. You can hear the bastardized final version, "Fat Bottomed Girls", on their 1978 album "Jazz".

I like "Queen" too. As a matter of fact I met Freddy Mercury in Person once in the small town I grew up in. He and the Band were changing Buses do to an Over Heating problem. Cool Guy and very polite. I was 11 years old up state NY. I also met Jerry Reed.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

If you want to use an insert drill, I believe that the Seco drill will give you as close to flat as you can get. Then finish the bottom with a boring bar.
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Hi Turnme
    how about using a flat spade innsert.
    We use these after pointed spade
    works great
    Bear