586,459 active members*
3,497 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Mdx-3

Mdx-3

Hi,

I am not certain if this is the right place to post this in the forum but here goes. I am a newbie when it comes to a desktop 3d plotter

I have an roland mdx-3 which I acquired second-hand. It did not come with the software or manuals. Found the modela player and some information via some japanese pages but it seems that the machine isn't working appropriately or I just haven't set it up appropriately.

When it powers up the power button and view button are on. When I click the view button it goes down to what I assume is the mill start point of the table (bottom left), the led turns off, and then after 1 second it moves back into its original location (top right) and the led turns back on. At times when it goes back to origin, the power button starts to blink. I have tried connecting it via usb and parallel (lpt1) and have not been able to get it to function.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this or set it up. If anyone has any experience with this machine or ideas on how to test it and/or set this up please let me know. Also any documentation leads would be great. I appreciate any and all help!!!

thanks!
    maggie

I would assume by their details on later models, that you would require a driver as it appears it just sets up a a printer, on either serial or parallel port.
    Did you try contacting the US distributor for help.
    Might be worth a shot.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

thanks for your post.

as for contacting the distributer...yes i did. no answer from them and there is no documentation or support at this time for this specific model on their website or where to send for repairs. i am on to the japan distributer now as they have support until nov 2007 (online language translators are a godsend)
    but no word yet on that end.

it might be that there is something wrong with the data transfer from the pc to the plotter itself...in that case it might need repairs but no clue where to take it for that.

thanks again,
    maggie

Hi Maggie,

If the machine is connected via the Parallel printer cable port, which I think it is? Download the attached toolpath file.

Open a DOS window

CD to the folder where your toolpath is saved

type,

copy profile.rol lpt1

You need to have a software package that save toolpaths for the Roland Modela machines (usually a .rol file extension). The Vectric software products can be used to run this machine and the Trial versions will let you save toolpaths using the Model postprocessor that you can then use to test whether the machine runs?

If you can make the machine run the we have a much simpler method of sending toolpaths to this machine.

I hope this helps and good luck,

Tony
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl View Post
    it might be that there is something wrong with the data transfer from the pc to the plotter itself..
    But if you don't have the driver..........
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I've added a simple toolpath file that can be downloaded to test the procedure in my post.

Tony

thank you for your help tony

ok, when i type in the command prompt "copy profile.rol" it respondes with "1 file(s) copied. is that what I was supposed to get? let me know how to proceed with this.
    thanks again,
    maggie

Hi again,

You need the include the lpt1

copy profile.rol lpt1

If the machine is linked to the PC using the Parallel printer port cable the machine should start to move?

The file should simply run around a 1" square?
    Or at least make a noise to indicate data has been sent to it?

Note - Not sure how yo udo this but the cutter head needs to be moved to the bottom left corner of the angled bed area as yo ulook at it. This machine takes the coordinates from wherever it is previously positioned.

Tony

strange...it doesn't move at all, not even a noise. the machine is connected to the parallel port with drivers installed. i guess i have another problem???
    thanks,
    maggie

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mac View Post
    Hi Maggie,

If the machine is connected via the Parallel printer cable port, which I think it is? Download the attached toolpath file.

Open a DOS window

CD to the folder where your toolpath is saved

type,

copy profile.rol lpt1

You need to have a software package that save toolpaths for the Roland Modela machines (usually a .rol file extension). The Vectric software products can be used to run this machine and the Trial versions will let you save toolpaths using the Model postprocessor that you can then use to test whether the machine runs?

If you can make the machine run the we have a much simpler method of sending toolpaths to this machine.

I hope this helps and good luck,

Tony
    Hi,

I'm new here, but I just wanted to say that I've had a Modela MDX-3 for over 2 years now and thanks to your simple text file and MS-DOS command, my MDX-3 made its first moves since I've owned it.

I'm glad to see it works, and that it can take simple text files!

Now, if only I knew of a 3D CAD program for Mac OS X... I don't feel like working on the PC (ThinkPad 760XL, 800x600/65K, Pentium 166MMX, 64MB, 10GB)!
    -------------------------
    Roland Modela MDX-3

String Resurection

Hello,

I would like to resurrect this string, as I have just been given stewardship of an MDX-3/PIX-3 Tandem of machines. I have been able to find the driver and some of the software, but no Operating Manuals. The MDX-3 seems to operate, but I am having some problems. For example when I select the Tool Up and Down buttons on top of the MDX-3, the engraver motor spins, but the tool does not go up and down.

Any pointers to available documentation would be appreciated.

try Concepts 3d its built for mac

Unhappy Modela MDX 3/ Picza Pix 3

I would like to resurrect this string again please, as I also have just been acquired stewardship of an MDX-3/PIX-3 Tandem of machines. I have not been able to find the drivers, all the updates seem to be out there but not the original Dr Picza bundle that with out leaves me all revved up and no place to go. These machines have never been used , so if any body could help me it would be greatly appreciated ,

Roland MDX-3 / PIX-4

[email protected]

Am looking for used reasonable priced MDX-3 Picza 3D milling machine. I have the driver / software CD already (same CD contains drivers and software for all units). Broken or incomplete unit considered as I may need an extra parts unit.

Also looking for MDX-3 PIX-3 PIX-4 PIX-30 MDX-15 MDX-20 Compucarve / CarveWright for parts or repair.

Scanning / digitizing services / milling available.

Tip: sometimes older software works best on these machines. IE Roland's version 2_70 Dr Picza has no glitches that I can see for PIX-4 scanning; While, 2_90 and 2_93 seem to have a horizontal band "ditch" recess at .004" scans. Version 2_70 gives me perfect results. I suggest uninstalling your software and then reinstalling from scratch a different software version.

In your case, having the MDX-3 use Roland's "Modela Player" and select the model of device from the drop down list box. Also choose your printer port. Your issues may be caused by not having a real parallel port and just using the USB converter. Try a different brand/model of USB converter or try a computer with a real LPT1: port.

Good Luck, let me know if you know of someone with any of the above units forsale in any condition. peterpclc_netscape_com

Quote Originally Posted by nearboston View Post
    Hello,

I would like to resurrect this string, as I have just been given stewardship of an MDX-3/PIX-3 Tandem of machines. I have been able to find the driver and some of the software, but no Operating Manuals. The MDX-3 seems to operate, but I am having some problems. For example when I select the Tool Up and Down buttons on top of the MDX-3, the engraver motor spins, but the tool does not go up and down.

Any pointers to available documentation would be appreciated.
    Email to Chris Cheer at Fourth Axis in Australia. They have the manuals for PIX-3 and MDX-3 and they were very helpful to me. You can get him thru their inquiry form at website http://fourth-axis.com
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl View Post
    Hi,

I am not certain if this is the right place to post this in the forum but here goes. I am a newbie when it comes to a desktop 3d plotter

I have an roland mdx-3 which I acquired second-hand. It did not come with the software or manuals. Found the modela player and some information via some japanese pages but it seems that the machine isn't working appropriately or I just haven't set it up appropriately.

When it powers up the power button and view button are on. When I click the view button it goes down to what I assume is the mill start point of the table (bottom left), the led turns off, and then after 1 second it moves back into its original location (top right) and the led turns back on.
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm replying just in case velogirl still needs help about this or if someone else ever has that problem.

At the bottom left of the machine, there is a switch that is normally pushed back when the dust tray is in place. Without it, the machine thinks you're not ready to cut and goes back to view mode automatically.
    -------------------------
    Roland Modela MDX-3

Re: Mdx-3

I have the PIX-30 SCANNER but I cannot get it running on my WINDOWS XP. I have the software 2.7v but I don't have the driver. I have both USB to serial cable and PRINTER LPT CABLE but the scanner cannot be detect because I don't have the driver. I'm eager to have this machine working and scanning parts. If you have driver and update software please kindly send email to [email protected]. Thanks.