586,852 active members*
2,128 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

828D Basic or Fanuc 0i MD

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and CNC machining and will like to have some help on 2 things:
    The first one is choosing a controller for my first CNC machining center. The manufacturer recommends Siemens 828D BASIC or Fanuc 0i MD (with an extra 3800usd on Fanuc). I know that this is a common question with no strait answer, but from your experience which controller should I chose? I am towards 828D BASIC due to the measuring cycle tool and as far as I understand the overall better futures, but I like the Fanuc option for the stability everyone is talking about.
    The second one is that I would like a good book or any other source to start my cnc machining education. I consider myself decent on CAD design but have no idea on CAM, G code and in general how to go from the 3d model to the machining part.
    Your suggestion will be much appreciated

Re: 828D Basic or Fanuc 0i MD

It really depends on support in your area. I personally won't touch a Siemens, had nothing but trouble with ours, and had to fly someone in for help. What I can't fix on the Fanucs or really a warranty issue, Fanuc was in the same day. My Fanucs from 30 years ago still run every day, with minimal down time over that period. We have scrapped machines from the 90s because Siemens no longer supported them.

Fanuc for sure unless you are in Europe then MAYBE MAYBE Siemens, but then still probably Fanuc.

Thanks for your replies. It’s nice to have you opinion on the matter. I do live in Europe but I thing I eliminate the Siemens option. Almost all feedback is negative. I am also looking at the Mitsubishi M70V-A. Spec-wise it seems a decent controller and the price is good.

Hey
    In Europe u could also check Heidehaine controller i think i could say that it is best european control for milling/milling centers... 828D is pretty nice *newer* control so they could be realy good and solid but we need the time to see that ... Fanuc as Fanuc good as always but even they break. Mitsubishi is also like Fanuc. Price could be the problem.. But without support one repair could be really expensive..

For programing check the Pro Engineer or Catia or Mastercam program examples in you tube just to get feeling what do they do with the model how do they get milling volumen out from your model and what to do with that volumen .. It is a big big theme..