586,139 active members*
3,173 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

manual oil pump problems

Has anyone had problems with there manual oil pump that comes with the 770 mill? When I first bought my machine the handle on the pump would stay out when pulled and push the oil through the lines like it is supposed to, but now it won't stay out at all, it feels like it isn't pulling oil up into the piston chamber. If I pull on it in small short intervals it will pull some oil up. I guess the o-rings are bad, or piston. It must be sucking air somewhere. I'm thinking of taking it apart before I buy another one. I don't really want to buy the same one from tormach and have the same issue. Does anyone know of another manufacturer of this type of oil pump?
    Thanks for any advice,
    Joe

Re: manual oil pump problems

I had the same problem on mine some time ago and found out that your supposed to pull the pump about once a year (freq. depends on problems) and clean the filter in the bottom of the pump. It can and will get clogged up and you will experience the scenario you describe.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Oh Cool, thanks Art. That makes sense. I'll clean it up.
    Joe

Mine (on a 770) was and is still is wonky from new. Sometimes with many quick strokes I can get the plunger to grab a bit of oil which gradually gets pushed up through the lines. I suspect it would be easier to fix by taking it apart and checking what is wrong rather than spending time grumbling about it, but sometimes I do things the hard way. The oil lines seem to leak and get air in them too. I need to find a couple of round toits.

I did it the easy way. I put an automatic oiler on my machine. Now, every 4 hours it gets a 12 second blast of oil.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Well I took it apart, cleaned the filter which was not dirty at all. Still no luck, same issue. I think its the o-ring in front of the piston, it looks like its a little small and I think its sucking air. I'll have to get some o-rings and size one up.