Hi,

I have an older Leadwell VMC with a Fanuc 10M Control. I had been running the same part for quite a while and the machine was running fine. I programmed another job and noticed that the spindle would only run 2 speeds (1) when programmed at or below 1100 rpm and(2) when programmed 1100 or over. So, until I had time to look into the problem, I kept running at the higher speed.

Not long after, the spindle alarmed out (#2 LED on spindle drive) and was running ROUGH. motor was loud and skipping.

Today I removed the Honda connectors to the spindle drive, cleaned the pins, connectors etc., started the machine, and it was running a lot smoother, but only 2 speeds still.

When I run the spindle manually with the rheostat control, I noticed that the spindle load was about 30% until the knob passed the midway point. Then the spindle load maxed out and ran rough.

I spoke to a few local techs and have been told that it was a sensor in the spindle motor and was an easy fix. I have also been told that it is a spindle drive problem with a hefty price tag.

I dumped the parameters a while ago and am not sure if the speeds ever changed correctly when I reentered the parameters

I want to be sure that what is done is needed and not a waste.

So, I am wondering if this has happened to anyone and what to do to fix it,or to at least try to isolate the problem

Spindle motor: A06B 1006 B100

Drive A20B 0009 0530

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike