586,408 active members*
2,884 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Getting in the groove
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Getting in the groove

MD, I made the tool holders.

Here is the Slitting Saw Arbor. I use the numbers in the red box for the basic TTS ATC geometry. Then I just change what attaches bellow the TTS ATC geometry to make a ER16 or ER20. I think in the Slitting Saw arbor example (below) the arbor is a little longer than the actual Tormach product. I was just looking for something to attach a saw blade too in the simulation.

Attachment 250496

ER16

Attachment 250498

ER20

Attachment 250500

David

Thanks for posting
    Always looking around for better or more complete info.
    Was hoping they published a uniform set of holders for tormach sprut users lol
    make some of this stuff more reliable for sharing and provide more consistent results. oh well
    I did notice tormach published machine iges models for I guess other software.
    Maybe they will publish a set of tool holders for sprut and or better yet a standard set of tool definitions.

Maybe I will offer a complete tool kit definition for sprut and tormach for "$"
    md

I final couple notes on my arbor saw operation setups

If you rely a lot on sprutcam to detect a problem with tool holder contact its a good Idea to be accurate in every way!

I noted before I design the model to allow only 0.05 from full saw depth.. clip below shows how close this is!
    Attachment 251494

Review of cam model I did not have saw cutter positioned accurately in the tool holder like shown below
    Note the yellow marks on the tool holder and where its going to effect the part!
    Attachment 251498

Notice this is not correct and if I had run this code on metal the tool holder would have made contact with the stock and spoiled the part and my day.

Attachment 251500

Does help to test., review and update notes and cam setups

Hope this helps!
    md

MD
    I noticed you added the retainer to the bottom of your slitting saw arbor, maybe you could add the numbers to the "Tormach TTS holder data" thread.

You keep raising the the bar in SprutCAM, so why not take it to the next level and make SC8 tutorials. (actually you have )
    I understand the STC files present a problem with the different versions and release dates.
    But you could provide the IGS files, so us mere mortal's could follow your adventures!

David

Hi David!
    I adjusted the overhang and thus moves the tool "saw" up the tool holder the amount of retainer.
    As for tutorials, I do my best at this point for a tormach mill and basic stuff.
    I have been working with 4th axis, rotary and tomb stone type operations also, I don't have these tools so all I can do is simulate, same with lathe operations.
    As I noted before in other threads I have a notebook and I would say it has 500 pages in it just for sprutcam.
    I keep refining the notes and adding to them. There are thousands of settings to understand when and how they apply to a project.
    I'm looking at writing a electronic book tutorial to help sprutcam users in general.
    My research, experience and understanding level is not near complete enough to even consider much more then a few simple short threads I have posted here at this point.
    "Raise the bar" I don't know!
    Kind words
    There are dozens of machines and machine types and various settings for all them and I have 0.00 experience with them.
    Estimating I have at best 10% understanding of this software.
    Iges files should be no problem, many I show here are drawn for testing and take just a few minutes to draw.

md

MD
    Thanks for the tip on setting up the slitting saw by changing the "overhang"

I extended the arbor 0.0625 x 1"Dia for the saw blade thickness
    Then I added the Retaining Cap.

Attachment 252062

Now using "overhang" I changed the value to move the saw blade into the slot.
    This keeps the top of the saw blade the proper distance from the spindle as the actual TTS tool holder.

Attachment 252064

David

For those Sprutcam users who are wrestling with setting up tool definitions for a slitting saw, Jacob at Sprutcam America posted this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-eg98bE4qY

I used this one to successfully run my first slitting saw operation.

I really appreciate how helpful Jacob is.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    For those Sprutcam users who are wrestling with setting up tool definitions for a slitting saw, Jacob at Sprutcam America posted this video.

I used this one to successfully run my first slitting saw operation.

I really appreciate how helpful Jacob is.

Ditto ! Jacob is prompt and helpful!
    I don't have much problem with tool definition or definitions for arbor saw ops they work mostly the same for me. I did notice after not using and setting up such operations for a while I had some difficulty getting it right! Started to fight it a little then looked at notes and pictures I keep to help figure out what to select and what direction to go then run simulation to see it was ok. So many settings and ways to do this or many of these cam operations. Anyway a clip of the part I was working on today that required arbor saw cut.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ViceStopArborsaw.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	278312
    Fun stuff I like the last operation in that list the best !

Pays to double and triple check settings for some of these operations.
    In the above setup I had only normal fixture jaws in model. My vise has extended jaws bolted to outside of vise " the saw blade would have hit those with the extended paths required to clear blade for transitions.
    Check safe levels carefully, some how I had this at .05 for this operation sending the blade over the part at rapid speed with little clearance "one of those wow that was close moments "
    Also this was not only close but would have been a major problem because the blade tool holder extends 3x that distance below the blade in the center, was lucky the rapid path was outside the part.

Quick picture of finished part

Name:	ViseStopClampAssembly1.JPG 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	278472

Note the vertical mark along the right side face of part I need more experience with how to setup level changes with long tools. In this case sprut did them right next to part with a long tool this left a mark.
    Easy enough to refine as time goes by

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Ditto ! Jacob is prompt and helpful!
    I don't have much problem with tool definition or definitions for arbor saw ops they work mostly the same for me. I did notice after not using and setting up such operations for a while I had some difficulty getting it right! Started to fight it a little then looked at notes and pictures I keep to help figure out what to select and what direction to go then run simulation to see it was ok. So many settings and ways to do this or many of these cam operations. Anyway a clip of the part I was working on today that required arbor saw cut.

Name:	ViceStopArborsaw.jpg 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	278312
    Fun stuff I like the last operation in that list the best !
    Hey MD, would you be willing to share this Sprut file with us? For one, I like your workflows and have been using the folder groupings quite a bit myself now. I would be interested in seeing how your coordinate systems work for part flipping as I haven't quite got the hang of it yet and the operation list on this job looks really clean.

Let me see what I can do. These files are huge and it looks like it uses 2 files these days.
    I also would need to do a few edits like delete my name out of the comment sections in different parts of template.
    This could also open a huge can of worms for tormach and sprutcam support with people trying to use or modify it and having problems. I could see more then one person pounding the desk trying to change these files, even experienced users at first.
    md

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Let me see what I can do. These files are huge and it looks like it uses 2 files these days.
    I also would need to do a few edits like delete my name out of the comment sections in different parts of template.
    This could also open a huge can of worms for tormach and sprutcam support with people trying to use or modify it and having problems. I could see more then one person pounding the desk trying to change these files, even experienced users at first.
    md
    It would be great if you don't mind sanitizing it =) I have no plans to reuse anything verbatim from your work, just to poke at it and see how you got certain operations to work. As far as file size, if it doesn't compress well, you might try something like Google docs to host it.

New video out from sprutcam America that explains this operation pretty well.
    Some of these operations are so flexible in there setup they can be done hundreds of different ways for hundreds of different tools and results.
    Powerful software it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAcN...ature=youtu.be

Brings to mind my next question.
    The video demonstrates a climb cut tool path, is this correct or is conventional better?
    If you view Tormachs video on arbor saw use the tool path is demonstrated going the other direction.
    Or does it only make a difference in harder materials?
    I only ask because I couldn't find an example in cnc programming handbook by p smidt.
    md

MD,

"Powerful software it is!"
    That last statement was rather Yoda-ish :-). After watching some of the new tutorials I am definitely looking forward to upgrading to Sprut 9.0 (or 10.0) later this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    MD,

"Powerful software it is!"
    That last statement was rather Yoda-ish :-). After watching some of the new tutorials I am definitely looking forward to upgrading to Sprut 9.0 (or 10.0) later this summer.

I do find a new way of doing something every time I use it.

Following up on my question above, what is best climb or conventional when using arbor saws. I tried it both ways today and concluded the climb tool path sounded better to my ear "not what I would think". Finish looked about the same.

I have always climbed when using a slitting saw and never had an issue with binding or chip evacuation. Admittedly I have not used a slitting saw in a challenging material (stainless, titanium, hardened tool steels etc.) only aluminum and engineering plastics. I like having one chucked up in the mill when people who haven't been in my shop before come for a visit. It makes the safety Nazis really uncomfortable to see me reference the mill with a horizontal blade attached.

Page 2 of 2 12