Hello Everyone,

I have been a lurker for many years and have finally decided to move forward on my design. I would be interested in any critiques of the design though it is too late for too many changes since I have all of the extrusions and the linear guides. Here is a rundown of the design.

Moving Gantry design
frame is 1400mm wide x 1100mm long

- Misumi 45x45x90 L-shaped extrusions for the gantry and the main router frame.
- Misumi 45x90 and 45x45 extrusions make up the cart.

- 0.5" Mic-6 toolplate sides reinforced with C-channel to add side-to-side stiffness.

Combination of HiWin and NSK 20mm Linear rails and guides for the X and Y axes and NSK 15mm rails for the Z.

Will start out with acme 1/2-10 5-start precision rods and will eventually move towards ballscrews, just don't have the funds to make the jump yet.

Have a Hitachi VFD and Automation Technologies 2.2KW spindle for the router.

A G540 with 381oz/in. steppers will drive all three axis.

The cutting area is roughly 49" wide and 32" long. I chose a wider design so I could accommodate a 4x8 sheet in stages. I didn't feel the need for a full 4x8 capability right now and I believe that this is a better alternative. I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before I move on to 4x8 sized design.

I am currently a grad student at Purdue so my time is limited on building this but I will begin soon. I am currently working on machining my gantry sides on a Haas VM-2 as school.

Any questions or feedback is welcomed.

Thanks,
Sean