586,296 active members*
4,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > New Pulsar delivery set.
Page 5 of 5 345

Re: New Pulsar delivery set.

Mesa Card picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mesacard.jpg  
    Lee

I have been having issues with this old computer that I am trying to run Path Pilot on.
    The screen keeps wanting to freeze up on me.
    I have swapped the ram around and tried it with single sticks too. I have an old ball mouse which I will swap out with a new one and try that.
    Then I think I have an old graphics card to try if I have a slot for it.
    At any rate, I went ahead and ordered the correct Mesa card today. the 6i25 that will plug into a PCIE in the Novakon MB.
    If all else fails, that should get us going on it. I have all our production files ready to go from Fusion 360 and am really looking forward to the swap.
    I'll update again when I have some good news.
    Lee

It turned out to be the graphics card.
    It is working now, but now I have to manually insert the tool change position in all the Gcodes.
    Path Pilot will not let you move things around to be able to change tools like Mach 3 would.
    I am using two double vises with 4 parts clamped down.
    Tool changes must take place between the two vises about mid travel on Y.
    Not a big deal, but I sure would like to have boxes to put those locations in at the CAM stage.
    Lee

So is there a dedicated XYZ coordinate required for tool changes? Does it use a T# M6 script?

Okay.
    I figured out the tool change thing.
    I had my Z switch set pretty low because of the way Mach 3 handled the tool change routines.
    I moved it up and now the Z goes high enough to change all our tools.

Now another issue I think may be with Path Pilot itself.
    My first tool was number 1 that I set my work zero with. Then it ran tool 8 with the correct offset. Then it came to tool number two. It should have used it's offset, but clearly did not. It snapped a bit because of it. I don't even use tool number 3 in these parts. Why did it choose to use it's offset for tool 2?
    Anyone seen that before?
    I may have to go get the latest greatest, but I heard it may have issues with tapping.
    I might give it s hot anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tool offset error.jpg  
    Lee

New Pulsar delivery set.

Lee I had that happen when I changed the T# in a hand edited program but didn't change the H#. Check that you have a T10 H 10 g43 for example. I know u know this but just to double check. I swore PP has gone crazy but as usual it was operator error.

Thanks, Brian.
    That is what the cause was. Different tool and offset numbers in the tool table of Fusion 360.
    Since Mach 3 was the source of some issues like this, it was only natural to blame Path Pilot, right?

Here is a video of the Pulsar running under the latest Path Pilot with 360 IPM rapids.

https://youtu.be/-Pnjdur-FPU
    Lee

Nice. Machine seems to be running smooth. I like that " first tool I ever broke.................today." Funny.

That's pretty cool seeing the machine zip around sounding so smooth! I actually had it up to 420 IPM but occasionally my Y axis stalled so I settled on a conservative 360!

Thanks, Guys.
    I don't expect any trouble out of it.
    I did have to move my X home switch block just a hair. Homing at that speed over ran a bit and would bump the iron motor mount block against the brass fitting for the oil line. I moved it about .1" in. It all works really well.
    A space could be machined off the motor mount housing there to make room for the oil line fitting. That would gain another 1/2" travel in X I think.
    Lee

Huh that's weird - obviously the machines have slight differences then. I know Lee you have an early demo model.

That oil fitting was moved on the production machines. I believe ONLY the pre-production/demo machines, like Lee's and mine, have that fitting in the way.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Yeah.
    The machine itself was pre production, but the stand and the electronics were upgraded to production model standards. Even though the machine was a pre production model, it still had some upgrades from the Torus model it replaced.
    Lee

I ground off the corner of the mounting block for the X stepper and the oil fitting is not longer in the way. Yah. Extra 3/8" travel in X.
    Lee

Page 5 of 5 345