586,512 active members*
3,366 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Boss 6 Z-Axis Pulley Identification / Problem

Boss 6 Z-Axis Pulley Identification / Problem

Hey Guys,
    I am getting further into my Boss retrofit, and noticed my Z-Axis pulley looked much different than the X & Y axes. I think this is a hack-job by the previous owner. The teeth actually look like they were machined, instead of cast like the others. Take a look at the photos and see if they look anything like your Z-Axis pulley. If yours is different than the photos, perhaps you could share a photo of yours??

Forgot to mention......the entire pulley is aluminum with the exception of the thin steel ring that is screwed in-place.

Thanks in advance,
    Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z-Pulley1.JPG   Z-Pulley2.JPG   Z-Pulley3.JPG  

Wayne
    The teeth on yours look like they are very very worn, apart from that it looks to be the right pulley. If I remember I will take a pic of mine today and post tonight.

Hood

Hey Hood,
    So you actually think this could be wear? Wow!! If it had been modified / machined, I was wondering how the last hacker machined into the corners of the teeth. Wear certainly expains it much better; but I would have never imagined it wearing that much. What does the small bolt-on stem do on the bottom? I would have thought it provided additional support, but my machine did not have any type of bearing for it to ride-in. It just protruded through the cover housing hole, and seems it was just along for the ride.

On a side note, I searched pretty hard for a replacement yesterday. I called Hardinge/Bridgeport and all the pulley manufacturers I could find (Martin, Browning, Polytech, CMT, e.t.c.). None of them offered an H-type 13-tooth pulley. However, I found (3) different places that offered H-type 13-tooth timing gear stock. I am guessing I will probably end-up machining my own pulley from some stock. Perhaps I will make this pulley from steel this time. What do you think?? Steel or aluminum?? (since I found both).

Thanks again!!

That bolt on stem took a small position dial, like a miniature version of what is on the end of a S1STD mill. The belt cover had a pointer rivited to it.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

That is great to know about the dial. I can't think of a reason why I might need it. If my machine had a digital readout, what was it's use back in the time?

I suppose it was used as a counter, sort of like the counters on X and Y axis.
    I forgot to take my cam today but I would say that it is most definitely wear, why so much I dont know but the teeth should be the full width all the way down. I have a pic taken a while back, its not very clear as I had to zoom in, but you can just make out what the teeth are like
    I would probably go for the Alu, just because thats what Bridgeport used, but the steel would probably be easier to obtain a finish on.

Hood

That picture is good enough for me to know it is time for a new gear - LOL. I am probably going to make it from steel, to keep from making it again some day. Thanks again for the photo!!

On a side note, I finished the X & Y axis adapters and mounted the servos this morning. Now I need to get busy on the Z motor mount.

Did you make up extensions for the motors?

Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Did you make up extensions for the motors?

Hood
    YES, it worked like a charm. I bored the stock pulley's out to 1", and made some 1" O.D. X 1/2" I.D. steel adapter sleeves. I used a couple 1/4" set-screws to attach the sleeve to the motor-shaft, and one 3/8" set screw to attach the pulley to the sleeve. I oriented the set-screws by 180° to offset the small amount of slip-fit clearance. When I was finished, each of the pulley's turn true within .001"-.0015" total. Pretty good, considering what they measured stock. When I indicated the teeth to the stock 5/8" bore during the boring operation, there was .005"-.008" runout; which had to be the way Bridgeport made them in production. Thanks again for the recommendation!!

No problem, was just the easiest way I could see to do it and it works fine for me.
    Hope you get the Z pulley sorted soon, was just thinking though if you have not made up the extension for your Z you could maybe buy stock long enough to have the extension as part of the pulley itself, would save a lot of hassle.
    Hood

I was already thinking about that!! I will machine a 1-piece pulley that fits my 1/2" motor shaft.

I finished assembling the head today, and have a problem with the variable speed adjustment. When I apply air to the cylinder, the air cylinder runs, and the worm-gear turns; but the shaft/dial/chain does not turn. Do you know if there is suppose to be a drive-pin on the dial-shaft? Something has to be there to drive the dial, and I could not find it. It was getting hot outside this morning, so I stopped at that point. I will look closer tomorrow morning. I bet something is sheared-off. Wish I had a shop with A/C in it.

Wayne, have attached a pic out of my manual Bridgeport book. I think the setup is exactly the same on the CNC Bridgeports except for the handwheel. Hope it helps.
    Hood

Wow......now that is helpful!! Looks like I may be missing item #8; which I believe must be a key that allows item #33 to drive item #35. I will take it apart this evening when it cools off. I made the Z-Axis mount this morning, so I am making some slow progress.

On a side note, would it be too much to ask for a scan of the head-assembly diagram? I have (1) extra snap-ring and (2) wavy washers left-over from the assembly, and it would be nice to know where they go - LOL. When I put it back together, everything seemed to go in to place, but was left with a couple extra parts when finished. No hurry..........just when you get time.

Thanks again,
    Wayne

Wayne you can download the whole manual from my site, you will find it here
    http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...ges/index.html
    If you have a slow connection and would rather just have the single page give me a shout and I will send it.
    I just looked at the manual and it says 8 is a bearing, think it must be a typo as its definitely a funny shaped bearing
    I am not sure if its a key or a pin though if you look at your gear shaft you will soon know whether there is a keyway
    Hood

Hood.......That was a BIG HELP!! Thanks again!! I have a few manuals that came with my machine, but they were full of general information such as hooking-up power, general operation, performance specs and then one manual full of wiring schematics / control drawings.

BTW.......did you get the lathe moved yet? That is a HUGE piece of iron to move. Hope you have a good size shop!!

Wayne
    no not got the lathe yet, dont have room,I am going to have to rent another unit next to my workshop. I need more space anyway and the lathe has just made me bite the bullet and go for it.
    Hood

Well, I figured-out the problem with the variable speed mechanism. It was indeed the item I selected from your exploded drawing. The item turned-out to be a spring-pin that pinned the gear to the chain spool. The stock pin was sheared-off clean, which explains why I missed it when I reassembled it. If there had been a key, I would have probably noticed it missing. Anyways, I replaced it with a heavy-duty roll-pin; which has at least 2X the shear strength as the spring pin that was in it. It all works correctly now. I also installed the wavy washers per the manual you had posted on your webpage. I guess they are there to keep the top bearing from rubbing the top bearing plate. I still have a snap-ring that I can not determine where it goes. It is larger than both the spindle shaft and the motor shaft.......so who knows?? Maybe it came out of the control cabinets that I disposed of.......

Thanks again,
    Wayne

Glad it helped.

Hood