586,459 active members*
3,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Controlling Rigid Tap Depth

Hi All,

I am working out the bugs in a "new to me" Haas VF-2 that I just got about a month ago. 1997 VF-2.

I was making some parts today and drilling and tapping some blind holes in aluminum. Setting up the first part, on a job I do all the time, I noticed that the blind holes at .5" deep in a .550" thick piece of aluminum were bulging on the bottom of the part. I reset all the tools thinking must have screwed up, but it did the same thing. I then checked the depth of the drilled holes and found them to be good, but when it tapped the first hole again it bulged out the bottom. So I took the part out and watched the position screen as it went through the tapping cycle for four holes.

What I found was that the tap that was supposed to go .47" deep was actually going about .54" deep and pushing the material out the bottom. Thank goodness for a strong 8-32 form tap. I change the depth for the tapped holes to .35" and kept running the parts.

I don't have the original manual for the 1997 but I have it for my 1996. After going through the parameters I found a setting, number 120 (SPINDLE ACC/DECEL), and found that my 96 was set at the factory setting of 25. I checked the 97 and it was set at 20. Since I figured it was time, I changed the 1997 to 15 and ran the tapping cycle again. It was only off about .03" of the proper depth setting. I dropped #120 to 10 and now it is within about .003 to .005". Hard to read it exactly. So I changed my program back to the .47" depth setting and it is fine now.

That setting, #120, does not seem to change anything else that I can see, so does anyone know if it will cause an issue someplace else?

Thanks for you time. Thought someone else may need the information.

Cheers----Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Re: Controlling Rigid Tap Depth

Setting 120 deals with how long it takes to slow the spindle down. If your machine has a regen circuit and it's set low you might see some smoke as the resistors get very hot.

Re: Controlling Rigid Tap Depth

Thanks for the reply. I did notice that the spindle did not slow down as much as the other machine, and even went to a reverse of 1/6 of a turn instead of just stopping, but now is about the same as my other mill.

Have been running parts for over an hour now with 8 different tools and regen is still good. Just slightly warm air coming from it, same as other mill. Maybe just a little weaker unit, I keep an eye out for one if it comes up. I'll look for a resister link I saw recently on this forum.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28