587,006 active members*
3,206 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > In need of some limit and home switches.
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: In need of some limit and home switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Potatohead908 View Post
    So after reading more about those it doesn't work like I was thinking. I'm trying to think how I can get more voltage just for one driver/motor combo for my Z-axis. Right now it's not an issue as I am moving everything at a slow pace and still learning. However I wasted money in the long run if I can't push more voltage and get a new driver for my 906oz Z axis stepper.
    why, what driver and power supply do you have now?

Quote Originally Posted by amyers View Post
    why, what driver and power supply do you have now?
    So I have a 48 volt power supply running a 5056D driver that is running a 906oz stepper now. I can use the 5056D driver on my lathe conversion and purchase a KL-8070D 80VDC/7A Digital Stepper Driver (It will take an input of 72 volts) for the mill's z axis (906oz stepper already mounted). The problem is all my other stepper drivers run on 45 volts and I only need one 72 volt leg to drive the KL-8070D and 906oz stepper combo. Is this a need or a want....the million dollar question.

What I don't know is if my 5056D and 906oz stepper performs better than if I would have just bought a 570oz stepper to be run by the 5056D.

I haven't bought the electronics for my lathe conversion yet so I can still change things a little. I am contemplating using:

-two 570oz steppers and two 5056D's (one new and one from the mill if I convert to KL-8070D)
    -C10 BOB (purchase a C11 and an Ethernet Smooth Stepper to replace the current C10 for the mill)
    -48v/12.5a power supply

Open to suggestions......

If you bought the KL34H295-43-8A or 8B 906 oz/in stepper from Automation Tech it's best to run it at a max of 58 volts, 72 volts would just overheat it.
    The benefit of using the 8070d would be in getting the amperage for the 906 for full torque.
    The 906 with the 5056d and a 48 volt supply is proven to work well for the g0704 even though it "detunes" to about 742 oz/in, still more than enough.
    570's are plenty for the g0602.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    If you bought the KL34H295-43-8A or 8B 906 oz/in stepper from Automation Tech it's best to run it at a max of 58 volts, 72 volts would just overheat it.
    The benefit of using the 8070d would be in getting the amperage for the 906 for full torque.
    The 906 with the 5056d and a 48 volt supply is proven to work well for the g0704 even though it "detunes" to about 742 oz/in, still more than enough.
    570's are plenty for the g0602.
    Hoss
    Thanks Hoss! That helps my understanding of the situation. I will stick with the 5056D then.

Quote Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
    I still have some of these available. Send me a PM if interested. I have them installed on my RF45 and seem to work just fine.

Attachment 248910
    Those were the ones I was thinking of.
    BTW I can't PM you, your box is full. PM me if you still have any when you get the chance please.

Vertcnc - can you show pictures of your limit switches installed - particularly y and z axis? Looking for the best place to mount a switch that look exactly like what you have.
    Thank, Mike

Give me a day or so and I will post some mounted pictures. The y switch is mounted on the base in the rear near the center of the column. I extended the plunger on the switch about 14" long and have shaft collars that are tripped by a bracket mounted on the saddle. The Z is mounted on the saddle of the head and moved up / down with the head with the stops mounted on side of column.

Quote Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
    Give me a day or so and I will post some mounted pictures. The y switch is mounted on the base in the rear near the center of the column. I extended the plunger on the switch about 14" long and have shaft collars that are tripped by a bracket mounted on the saddle. The Z is mounted on the saddle of the head and moved up / down with the head with the stops mounted on side of column.
    You posted up some pictures on some of your older posts. As far as I could tell you used the same mounting methods Bob Warfield shared in cnccookbook.

Quote Originally Posted by dracozny View Post
    You posted up some pictures on some of your older posts. As far as I could tell you used the same mounting methods Bob Warfield shared in cnccookbook.
    Yes, That's pretty close to were I mounted them. It's similar to the way most of the other RF45 conversions were done.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefinger View Post
    Vertcnc - can you show pictures of your limit switches installed - particularly y and z axis? Looking for the best place to mount a switch that look exactly like what you have.
    Thank, Mike
    Here is a couple pictures.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Limit Switch Mounted Y axis.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	249926

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Limit Switch Z Axis Mounted.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	249928

Thanks for the pics!

Page 2 of 2 12